Monday, January 07, 2013

foodie friday

Friday I met up with Tamakikat.

She wanted to meet up in Osaka but not in Umeda. So I checked online to see what was open.

Since some companies' holidays were up to the 3rd, some shops were open from the 4th, in some other cases though, others decided to take a longer break and wouldn't be starting up until the 5th or even the 7th.

Some of the cafes I wanted to take her to weren't starting up until the 5th, so it made things a bit difficult but in the end we tried Butter.

Pancakes are all the rage now for some reason, if only crispy bacon would hit...

You should know that in Japan, french toast and pancakes are considered desserts and not things for breakfast, though the trend is slowly changing...slowly.

Anyway, since it was lunchtime, we both tried something savory.

I went with the bacon, egg and basil sausage pancakes while she went with the lasagna pancakes.

I enjoyed my dish the pancakes were slightly sweet though I wish the bacon were crispy and I wish I could've specified how I wanted my egg done, still check out the size of that yolk, huge!

I think Tamakikat enjoyed her dish even though she said it looked nothing like the picture in their menu.

After lunch we walked a bit and went into Gokan. I've been here previously but apparently she'd never been.

I tried their tarte tatin, this came with a piece madeleine with kuromame (sweet black beans) and a yuzu granita (palate cleanser).

Tamakikat didn't have anything for dessert just some flavored tea.

I enjoyed the tarte tatin, it had lots of apple. I also enjoyed the granita and madeleine.

It was a very icy day with some flurries here and there, but it was nice to get out and about. Thanks for a great day, Tamakikat!

Butter (UPDATE: 2017 this shop no longer at this location)
3-5-11 Dosho-machi OME Bldg 1F
Chuo, Osaka
Phone: 06.6226.4411
Hours: 8:00-24:00
Breakfast 8:00-11:00 (on weekends only)
Lunch: 11:30-15:00 (on weekdays only)

5 comments:

Rowena said...

That IS a huge yolk. Sounds like a delicious outing for you both even if it was cold and icy. Our weather has been WEIRD. It started off cold and cloudy on the first 2 days of the year but this past Saturday the temps went up to 18°C (from 5°). It felt like spring!

K said...

What interesting pancake flavors!

K and S said...

OMG Rowena, your weather is weird. Ours is lingering in the single digits but no white stuff to speak of here, well, a flurry here and there, but nothing major...pffft!

Savory was definitely nice, K!

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

It's back to the cold again (4°C) and if the weather dude is right, we be looking at almost a week of snow in the second half of this month.

I'm already thinking of sowing some radish seeds under cover, and couldn't resist buying a caper plant at the nursery this past weekend.

K and S said...

Our weather is super weird, really cold but nothing white :( Hope your plants are successful this year, Rowena!

Take care.
Kat