Tuesday, January 15, 2013

zuwaigani

Yesterday, it rained all.day.long.

We stayed indoors, and had our zuwaigani (snow crab) which we received from the mystery tour for dinner.

I think I told you I don't have something proper to heat sake in, well, I don't have a proper clay pot to make nabe (hot pot) either.

Anyway, we made do with what pots I do have.

The veggies (hakusai (chinese cabbage), shungiku (garland chrysanthemum), maitake and carrots, I cooked in my frying pan with a couple of ladlefuls of dashi with a cover.

The crab, we removed the legs and put them in a pot along with some dashi (stock) and heated them for about 5 minutes.

Since the crab was par-boiled, it didn't need to be cooked too long, just heated through.

By the way, the 2nd photo is the way Satoshi wanted to show you the crab...beady eyes and all.

For the dashi, put 4 cups of water and a 10 centimeter (3.9 inch) piece of konbu in a pot and heat until just before boiling.

Remove the konbu and add 2 tablespoons sake (rice wine) and 1 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce).

Cook for about 5 minutes to burn off alcohol of sake.

This was delicious, the crab had a slight sweetness to it, though we thought there could've been a bit more "meat".

Still, was a great dinner and a nice way to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

7 comments:

Rowena said...

Happy Anniversary! I like Satoshi's flair for visual impact as there is nothing like looking at your food right in the face. He sounds like he wouldn't flinch either at cooking something that was still alive.

We had light rain all day long, fog too. So I pounded keys on MotH's piano.

K and S said...

Rowena, he was such a wimp, didn't even want to touch anything frozen...

Take care.
Kat

p.s. you play the piano too?! cool!

KirkK said...

Happy Anniversary Kat! I do like Satoshi's choice for the photo....

K and S said...

I'm glad you like it too, Kirk :)

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

That mystery tour was a winnah!

K and S said...

for real Jalna :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

What a great wintery meal!