Thursday, January 17, 2013

spam wonton

While I was in Hawaii last year, my BFF told me about spam wonton.

She also shared the recipe with me.

I had a can of water chestnuts that needed using and I also had some SPAM leftover from making corn chowder, so I tried the recipe.

Actually, the friend who gave it to her, just gave an "estimated recipe" because said friend just went "by feel" to make them.

So, I just ad-libbed too.

I used this for 30 wontons:
1/4 can SPAM (less salt)
6 water chestnuts
a handful of chopped green onion
1/4 yellow onion
1/2 kamaboko
30 wonton wrappers
water to seal wrappers
oil to fry

Throw first 5 ingredients into a food processor and pulse until minced.
Wrap wontons.
Fry.
Drain on paper towel.
Enjoy with your favorite sauce.

NOTES: This was delicious. We ate them with sweet chili sauce.

A couple of my wonton opened up, but most stayed shut.

I also had some wrappers that ripped while I was making the wonton, probably because I put too much filling.

In the end, I still had a couple of teaspoons of filling left, I'll probably add it to some scrambled eggs for breakfast another day.

I am thinking to freeze some wonton so we can have these again another time. I am also going to freeze the bulk of the can of water chestnuts, since I don't think I will be able to use it up in the next couple of days.

Oh, and my blog friend, Genki had an interesting experience making spam wonton, which you may want to read about here.

Thanks for the recipe, W!

14 comments:

Tamakikat said...

Looks delish! Keep thinking wanton spam as in 'That spam is so wanton!' whenever I see the title.

genkitummy said...

Your spam wonton look nice! Kamaboko sounds like a nice touch! I think we'll probably try to make spam wonton again, but we have to plan on picking up wonton wrappers in Chinatown so it will be cheaper.

K and S said...

lol thanks TK!

Thanks Genki! yes, I hear buying your wrappers in Chinatown is way cheaper.

Take care you two.
Kat

sue said...

It looks so crispy and crunch! My favourite texture!

Rowena said...

I don't know how true this is, but I've read that there's a beef-based spam in Poland? That should be interesting in a wonton!

K and S said...

if you give this a try, I hope you like it Sue :)

Thanks Jalna :)

wow that is interesting, Rowena, hope you can find it and try it :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

K and S said...

Rowena, found a picture of the Polish one here.

Kat

Rowena said...

You are good! I searched flickr and google but didn't come up with pamapol.

K and S said...

Rowena, I found it through yahoo japan, putting in "poland spam" in the search engine :)

Take care.

K and S said...

Rowena, here's a link to their here

Kat

Kathy YL Chan said...

oh WOW! I'll have to give this a try at home ^_^

K and S said...

I hope you like these Kathy!

Take care.
Kat

K said...

These look so pretty, nice job!

K and S said...

Thank you K!

Take care.
Kat