Thursday, December 09, 2021

araiimo

The other day I went to Benny to buy kabocha which they had advertised in their ad.

The ad said it was from Hokkaido but the label said from Mexico…boo!

So instead I picked up a bag of araiimo. 

In Japan it is called satoimo, but growing up my family called it araiimo, a type of dasheen.

Surprisingly, it was my first time cooking with it.

Luckily the internet had info on how to peel it.

The site recommended different ways but the easiest was to peel it then soak it in water.

Since it can get slippery, I used a dish cloth to hold it and a vegetable peeler to peel it.

Try not to get the orb wet or the “slime” will start.

After peeling, I rinsed it and put it in some water as I prepared the other veggies.

While boiling the stalks of the hakusai and araiimo, in another pan, I sautéed onion, chicken with some garam masala & curry powder.

I added the boiled hakusai and araiimo with the liquid to the sautéed chicken…added some diced canned tomato and some consommé

I added the leaves of the hakusai and let it wilt down.

Dinner is served...chicken soup curry.

I think the hardest part was peeling the araiimo, I'm glad I tried cooking with it and will use it more often.

Have you cooked with araiimo, what is your favorite way to cook it?

7 comments:

Rowena said...

aiyah! Mexico to Hokkaido, that's a bit of a stretch - boo and double boo.

jalna said...

Looks so ono!!

Anonymous said...

My grandma used to always put it in her nishime. I don't remember what or when I tried cooking with it but I remember it being so slimy and hard to handle because it was so slippery. Must have been way before internet to look up how to cook it, LOL.
v

jenny said...

How's that false advertising! You should sue that market! Okay nah, but it's still wrong. The curry sounds great. Good job on handling that thing, I don't know if I could ever. never had araiimo in curry before but sounds good!

K and S said...

for real Rowena!

Yes V, my mom used to put it into nishime too:)

Jenny, just keeps me on my toes reading labels:)

Thanks Jalna!

Take care everyone!
Kat

KirkK said...

We called it Araimo growing up Kat, a must for nishime. Our neighbors used to call it Dasheen.

K and S said...

That is interesting Kirk:)

Take care!
Kat