Saturday, March 11, 2023

fuchu city local forest museum

On the way back from Yaho, I noticed another ume festival sign from the train...

when I looked online, I found out that Fuchu City Local Forest Museum, which is labeled as an arboretum on Google maps, has a baien (plum garden) and they were having an ume festival.

So, I went to check it out...

From the JR Fuchuhonmachi station....walk past Suntory Brewery

And the Daitokyo Sogo wholesale market...

wouldn’t mind coming back to check out this market
There was a tiny park with many cherry trees.
And then you need to buy an admission ticket...300 yen 

If I'm not mistaken, they only take cash.

There is also a planetarium, on the grounds, but the admission is separate and costs 600 yen.

There are some restored buildings on the property.

One was being used as a cafe.
60 plum varieties and 1000 plum trees...wow!
The plum blossom season was nearing the end, glad I was able to experience this.
Brought a musubi to tide me over...there were benches all over the place...to sit, to chat, to just hang out.
They have a little area with robai (waxy apricot) also called wintersweet/Japanese allspice.

Since it was March, I thought I missed this but there were still some flowers on the trees.

There is also an area for hydrangea though not as extensive as the plum...we might be back.

Lots of people out and about.

They also have ume trees lit up at night, which must be beautiful to see.
To get back home, I walked to the JR Bubaigawara station, because I've been curious of this statue, that you can see from the train...Samurai Yoshisada Nitta.
Sweets from Aokiya, which has been in business since 1893.

We tried these manju and mochi...delicious.

Another area of Tokyo explored.

The days are getting longer and warmer, I think some areas are May or June temps!

Fuchu city local forest museum
6-35 Koremasa
Fuchu City, Tokyo
Closed Mondays
Hours: 9:00-17:00

Aokiya
3-22-26 Katamachi
Bubaigawara Minano 1F
Fuchu City, Tokyo
Open daily 9:30-19:00

p.s. if you are interested in seeing more photos/videos, look here

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for finding all these gardens! Looks like my ume tour will be an annual thing!
v

jalna said...

Awesome outing!

K and S said...

I'm still exploring V, hope to find more spots for different flowers around Tokyo.

it really was Jalna :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

60 plum varieties is too much for my brain to handle, but what a number. I have 2 and it is plenty enough for our small yard!

KirkK said...

So pretty Kat!

K and S said...

indeed Rowena!

it really was Kirk :)

Take care you two.
Kat