Wednesday, March 29, 2023

niihao

Sunday we met up with friends from Osaka for dinner.

Between life and the pandemic, it has been 3 years since we last saw Hiromi and her family.

Her son will enter the workforce soon, so they were in the process of moving him.

And since they were near Tokyo, they contacted us to meet up for dinner.

We took them to Niihao because Kamata, the area we live near to, is known for its hanetsuki gyoza (gyoza with "wings"/“skirt”).

Two hours was just not enough time to catch up.

Now that their son is near Tokyo, they said they'll visit often.

Looking forward to more outings with them.

We appreciate all the omiyage & your friendship!


8 comments:

Rowena said...

I have to say that this is a first...wing gyoza in a rectangular shape? I've seen people do them in a skillet but I wonder how they got this one - cool!

jalna said...

Ho, that gyoza!

Anonymous said...

that gyoza looks so ono! Since I rarely go to ramen places, I haven't tried this type but am sure I would love it.
v

K and S said...

Rowena, I think they cook the gyoza on a large griddle, by adding a slurry, you can make the "wings"

Jalna, crispy on the outer edges :)

V, you should try next time you come :) but always got all your faves to eat too, yeah?!

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

I was thinking maybe they used a pan for tamagoyaki? I've made wing gyoza before (back in the Masterchef AU days!) and they always used a round skillet.

I am so not buying another pan! :)

K and S said...

The industrial "griddle" is rectangle Rowena,https://youtu.be/OKAt99wG8Lk,hope you can see this
In the video they are just cooking the gyoza the orthodox way, but for the type with wings they add a little slurry.

Take care.
kat

KirkK said...

That look like classic guotie!

K and S said...

Good to know Kirk :)

Take care.
Kat