Sunday, March 03, 2024

katsuura big hinamatsuri

Not sure if it was when we were living in Osaka or after we moved to Tokyo when I bookmarked this to see, and then the pandemic hit…on the spur of the moment I went on Thursday.

I left the house at 8:45 and with the combination of super poor planning and also getting lost inside of Tokyo station, I arrived in Katsuura at 12:00-ish

There are 3 main areas where the dolls are displayed: A big display at an intersection

Tomisaki shrine : there are about 1800 dolls here and they are put up and taken down every day! (if rain is in the forecast, they don't put the dolls up, just a panel photo of it in its place)

Kakuoji temple

This event started in 2001 and apparently 7000 dolls were brought in from areas of Japan with the same name, Katsuura.

Many shops have dolls displayed, even the post office!

Unfortunately, arriving at lunch time, I missed checking out the morning market.

Still, I'm glad I made it out this way.

The event runs from February 23rd until March 3rd, check their website for more details

If you'd like to see more photos/videos, please look here

Hope you enjoyed this adventure as much as I did

Happy Girls Day

5 comments:

KirkK said...

Love Hinamatsuri displays in Japan Kat! I remember coming across a really impressive one when we were doing the Nakasendo Trail in Tsumago!

K and S said...

I hope we get to check out Nakasendo Trail in Tsumago, Kirk!

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Ho! Impressive!

Anonymous said...

i wonder how long it takes to set up the dolls everyday. So impressive!
I went to Tsumago to do the Nakasendo Trail. I would do it again!
v

K and S said...

Jalna, glad I got to experience this :)

V, must take awhile yeah?!

Take care.
Kat