Tuesday, June 15, 2010

cafe tous les jours

Last month after we tried Tea Salon Musica, I read up on Cafe Tous les Jours which I mentioned is located at the back of the Tea Salon.

This cafe serves pasta, curry and quiche as well as desserts.

I chose the curry set. You can choose between chicken or spinach curry (I chose spinach curry), rice or baguette (I chose baguette). This also came with a small salad and drink (I chose iced chai)...950 yen (about US$9.50).

I was surprised with this curry as there was hardly any "stuff" in there, just two pieces of potato. The spiciness and flavor was delicious and I loved that they gave me a lot of thick sliced bread to dip into the curry.

(I hate those places where they only give you two slices of bread (sometimes really thin slices), how can you enjoy mopping up sauces with only two slices?)
Satoshi chose the Saturday special 1780 yen (about US$17)

This came with a huge salad, antipasto plate, choice of pasta (uni (sea urchin) cream or kanimiso (crab innards)), dessert and choice of drink.

The uni cream pasta seemed to be the signature item here, so that is what he chose. There was lots of cream, tomato sauce and uni (sea urchin). If you like uni, you'll like this dish.

Satoshi's dessert was rum raisin ice cream and an azuki bean cheesecake. For his drink he chose hot chai.

(If he didn't have to run off to German language class, he said he surely would have had a glass of wine with this lunch (as it is a choice for the prix fixe menu!))

My only peeve is that they allow smoking, unlike the tea salon which doesn't.

This place is popular, within the time we were there, the seats filled up and there was quite a bit of chatter in the air.

We'll be back.

Cafe Tous les Jours (located at the back of Tea House Musica) :this shop closed in 2013
1-4-4 Dojimahama (Aqua Dojima Bldg, Fontana Wing 3F)
Kita, Osaka
Phone: 06.6342.7886
Open: 11:30-14:30, 17:30-22:30, Closed Sundays & Holidays

9 comments:

Rowena said...

I love uni, so count me in, although I would probably not like the smoking too much!

btw, I was looking through your blog for Laduree as I was sure that you had written about them before. I only found out just now that they opened a shop in Milan at the beginning of May. Not sure if I want to check them out though...I figured from what you wrote that they charge $$$$€€€€€!!!! Ch-ching!

Unknown said...

That curry looks so smooth and creamy! I wish Japan would go non-smoking like hawaii and California, but I'm sure that's decades away...

K and S said...

I tried the one in Tokyo (Ginza) Rowena, I think in that post I tried 4 macaron and coffee for $32. Ch-ching indeed but great experience :)

Actually Rick, I think Japan will be smoke free before China is :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Your curry looks 'interesting'. It sounds like it tasted yummier than it looked.
It's so awful that smoking is so accepted in restaurants and hotels in Japan. That would have to be my only peeve too.

K and S said...

Thanks Momiji, they are slowly making progress towards non-smoking in Japan but I think it will take many many more years.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

OK, it looks good but I want "stuff" in my curry
;-) although your bread looks good and I am sure was delicious in the curry sauce.

K and S said...

You would think I would be used to "stuff-less" curry here in Japan Debinhawaii, because most places serve curry without "stuff", but for myself, when I make curry like like LOTS of "stuff" in it :)

Take care.
Kat

Su-Lin said...

Ah, spinach curry! That explains the slightly green-yellow colour! Mmm...would love some Japanese curry about now.

K and S said...

I hope you get some Japanese curry soon Su-Lin :)

Take care.
Kat