Wednesday, June 16, 2010

foodie wednesday

Last Wednesday, Satoshi had the morning off, so we headed to Umeda for lunch.

The place we were planning to try didn't open for lunch until 11:30, so we popped into the Nord Kaffe for some coffee and a half an hour of day dreaming.

I think this cafe's furniture is from IKEA, I liked the modern feel to it but disliked the smoking-non-smoking wall in between as there was an open area at the top of the wall, perfect for all that smoke to billow over.

I tried the ka-ka, which apparently means cake in Swedish, this was not cake nor cookie, the texture was very moist, almost like uncooked cookie dough in bar form. I did like the earl grey flavor though...smudge of whipped cream totally unnecessary but there for aesthetics. ....90 yen (about US$.90)
At 11:30, we walked around the corner to Henry. Apparently this place has been in business since 1947.

Satoshi ordered the fish set and I ordered the meat set...both 1000 yen (about US$10).

Both meals came with a salad topped with smoked salmon and parma ham.

Satoshi's fish was itoyori (goldenthread/nemipterus virgatus), I think it is a type of snapper.

My "meat" was grilled chicken which was topped with a grainy mustard sauce. I really liked this dish. The meat was kind of smokey and the sauce really light.

Dessert was a perfect teeny taste of pannecotta.

The nice thing about this restaurant is that if you order before noon, you can get a free drink with your meal, we chose hot black tea.

Although Satoshi had to rush off to work afterwards, it was nice to be able to have lunch together (especially during the week).

Henry
Osaka Station #4 Bldg, B1F
Phone: 06.6345.2571
Open: 11:30-15:00, 17:30-22:00

Nord Kaffe
around the corner from Henry

5 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

Looks like a yummy lunch. Sorry the ka-ka wasn't better! ;-)

K and S said...

Debinhawaii, I guess when the description says cake I was imagining "cake" not "dough".

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Reading that you had lunch during the week...sigh...how I wish the MotH and I could get together for more lunches! A shame that he only has a 45 minute lunch, because it takes 30 minutes to/from work, so that leaves a very unrelaxing 15 minutes to eat. Everything you guys ate looks wonderful.

KittyBonkers said...

I wish I could go to lovely cafes and places like that with my boyfriend, your blogs always make me jealous hehe but they are always a good read! I want to try that weird cake dough!

K and S said...

I wish we could have more meals together during the week Rowena, most times it is just breakfasts in the morning together and then from there my company with meals is the tv. :(

Thanks Goldenwolf, I hope you will be able to try ka-ka, it is quite interesting. :)

Take care you two.
Kat