Friday, June 25, 2010

trying new recipes

With the weather being weird as it has, one day rain, one day clouds, all around humid, I stayed indoors and recently tried a couple of new recipes.

The first one was adapted from "The French Market" by Joanne Harris. "Thon aux deux haricots" (tuna with two beans).

This recipe was really easy to put together.

Instead of olives, I used capers.

Steam some green beans and sear some tuna in some olive oil, I did about a minute (or less) on each side.

Take the tuna from the pan and replace with the rinsed white beans to heat through. Add the zest of a lemon plus the juice, garlic, capers, basil and some cherry tomatoes.

Serve tuna on top of the veggies.

(I split a piece of tuna the size of my palm between Satoshi and I, I figured since I was serving it with beans, we didn't need to have a whole piece of tuna each (plus the price of tuna is kinda crazy!))

This dish was so refreshing and light.

The second recipe was from my blog friend, Pocky.

She suggested I try a splash of lime juice on my feta-watermelon salad.

Yum! another refreshing dish.

Satoshi kept commenting on how well feta and watermelon go together.

The last recipe was something I've made in the past, a wheatberry salad from Ina Garten.

This time around, I used pearl barley and wheatberry.

I roasted a red bell pepper and some zucchini.

For the dressing I used the juice of 1/2 a lime and a tablespoon of olive oil. I also added some minced white onion, tomato, Italian parsley & feta cheese.

I'm making these again! (soon!)

It's Friday, hope your weekend is a nice one.

12 comments:

KirkK said...

Nice improvising with the capers Kat!

Rowena said...

Man that is really rotten about the weather, but good that you got to try some experiments in the kitchen. I'm still holding my breath for this weekend...but I just might try that feta-watermelon salad with lime juice if I can get all of the stuff together!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Mmm...all three recipes look great. Yay to capers with tuna and I love watermelon with feta and grain salads. You are eating well! ;-)

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk, I was to cheap to buy a bottle of olives :p

Thanks Rowena, I hope you like the salad, it is about the 4th time we've had it since Summer started here :)

Thanks Debinhawaii, I'm trying to eat well now so I can eat "bad" in Hawaii ;)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Dennis K. said...

Love the new look, and love the tampopo!

K and S said...

Thanks Dennis :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

The dishes look great! LOVE the watermelon/feta combo especially!

Barbara said...

I meant to add - I love the watermelon/feta combination.

Barbara said...

My favourite lemon tart recipe is from a Joanne Harris book.

K and S said...

We love watermelon and feta too Barbara, I'm going to look through my Joann Harris books to see if that lemon tart is in there.

Take care.
Kat

Kim said...

Woo!!! Thanks for the shout out, Kat. Now if only I can get off my lazy butt and update my blog. lol In the meantime, I'll just continue to enjoy yours. :)

I don't think I've ever eaten wheatberry before. The salad definitely looks very pretty and summery.

K and S said...

Wheatberry is just a little harder than rice, kinda chewy Pocky :)

Take care.
Kat

p.s. thanks again for the tip :)