Monday, June 14, 2010

tako meshi (the other half)

With the other half of the dried tako, I made another pot of tako meshi. This time adding some gobo (burdock). I "whittled" the gobo and added it to the tako and rice.

I had frozen the other half of the stock thinking I could use it for the batch of tako meshi mentioned above, but one of my bottles (the one with more stock in it) cracked in the freezer, so I threw it out.

(Satoshi actually thought we could salvage the stock, but I didn't want to take any chances.)

So instead of making more stock, I just used the amount of stock that was okay and added some water. Also, I didn't add the sugar, just shoyu and mirin.

Whittling the gobo was a good method too, the gobo came out tender.

Despite the cracked bottle of stock, the tako meshi with gobo was delicious.

7 comments:

K and S said...

Thanks Jalna, I think I like this version better :)

Take care.
Kat

Dennis K. said...

Gosh I never craved eating octopus so much.. Your rice sounds perfect right now.

Rowena said...

I have to start thinking about growing gobo root...really miss eating that veg. The only seeds I've seen though are for salsify which is a little bit different according to the foodie experts.

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks delicious. One of these days I am going to cook with gobo root. ;-)

K and S said...

Thanks Dennis! I hope you get some tako soon :)

I wonder how hard it would be to grow gobo, Rowena, I should surf around for some info.

I hope you do Debinhawaii, it is a great source of fiber :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Rowena said...

It doesn't sound like it would be something hard to grow, and I actually found an organic seed source that ships from Oregon, but....on their website there's a disclaimer saying in so many words that they cannot be held responsible for "lost" shipments to Italy. Hahaha! Don't I know that one!

K and S said...

I should see if our DIY has seeds Rowena. I didn't realize gobo can be grown from seed, you know me, just stick stuff in the ground if it grows, cool, if not, oh well.

Take care.
Kat