Thursday, June 03, 2010

"food matters" and it is "so easy"

Two weeks ago, the weather was crappy...it rained for two days straight! It rained so much that there were a lot of landslides. (Luckily not in our neighborhood)

To keep myself entertained indoors I decided to try some new recipes.

From "Food Matters" by Mark Bittman...I tried the "Nutty Oatmeal Cookies". Instead of chocolate chips, I added nibs and in place of butter I used olive oil.

My oven is so teeny that it took me some time to bake the half a batch that I tried.

I used a scoop but think I may have made some too small because I actually ended up with 20 cookies instead of 18.

Anyway, these are delicious and gives your jaw a nice workout.

Also from "Food Matters" I tried the "Hybrid Quick Bread", since I didn't have whole wheat flour, I added some ground flax seed (about a tablespoon).

Also, I put them into cupcake papers so that I would have individual servings. (Way easier to store and clean up.)

I made half the recipe and was kind of worried it wouldn't rise because I didn't have the correct amount of baking powder, but it turned out okay.

I also didn't add the optional honey nor the sprinkling of salt on top, so these need jam, sauce or something. I really like the texture of this, soft and a little fluffy.

We had this with an over easy egg and salad for breakfast one morning...yum!

From "So Easy" by Ellie Krieger, I tried her recipe for "Cherry Almond Chocolate Clusters".

Only 3 ingredients---dark chocolate (60%-70%), dried cherries and almonds...easy, right?

I melted the suggested amount of chocolate (I used 70%), added the almonds and cherries and put tablespoon mounds onto parchment paper.

Chilled them in the refridge and got these delicious treats. Serving size is one piece.

With some of the leftover chocolate, I filled one of my Hello Kitty cheese molds.

Even with the two days straight of rain, this year our rainy season seems to be late, in fact, we've been having cool weather.

I'm pretty sure this will affect the veggies and fruit this year.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh! Ahhh! I'd like to make the nutty oatmeal cookies. ;-)

You've made a lot of wonderful stuff. yum!

paz

Deb in Hawaii said...

Three great-looking recipes I have not tried yet. The cookies look really good and of course the chocolate too. ;-)

Unknown said...

I want to try that cookie!

K said...

Sounds like you had a good time trying out these recipes! Thanks for sharing!

Médaille Gourmande said...

Cooking is the best activity when it s crapy outside!!!!

Rowena said...

They all look like things that I'd want to put into my backpack when we go hiking - perfect size and full of energy carbs. Weatherwise, we've been having nice days and it hasn't gotten really hot yet. The cherry tomato plants are starting to form flowers!

jalna said...

You enticed me with the cookie and bread, but really hooked me with the chocolate!

K and S said...

Thank you Paz!

The chocolate is so easy Debinhawaii, I think I'm going to make this again soon :)

Come over with some coffee Rick :)

Thanks K :)

Definitely Medaille Gourmande :)

Whoo hoo for your tomatoes, Rowena :)

He he, thanks Jalna :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

genkitummy said...

I'm sorry to hear that the weather has been bad. Looks like you've been keeping yourself busy with all your baking. The cookies and chocolate look delicious!

K and S said...

Thanks Genki, rainy season is just around the corner, not looking forward to it.

Take care.
Kat