Thursday, June 24, 2010

mizudashi

The weather is hot, it is humid, you'd like some iced tea or iced coffee to drink but you don't want to heat up the water to brew it.

After brewing it, you then need to chill it, it would take some time, but remember it is hot, it is humid.

The Japanese have a method called "mizudashi" or extracting with cold water. (I think in the States they call it cold brewed.)

These days I usually fill a jar (about a cup) with water, add a scoop of tea and let it sit in the refridge overnight.

I usually do this with black tea and have tried it with some chinese, herbal and green teas with success.

I do this with coffee also (putting the coffee grains into a disposable tea bag).

Before drinking, I strain the tea.

Easy, saves on gas/electricity (to heat the water), takes a little planning but at least I won't have to perspire more than I already am.

14 comments:

gtrine said...

That's a great idea! Once summer really hits in the bay area, I think I will try this at work. I'll brew it when I leave and it will be ready in the morning yeah? Do you think 12 hours is too long for brewing time?

K and S said...

12 hours is okay Gtrine :) Especially if you plan to add some ice. Hope you like this method.

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

It should be fine Gtrine, especially if you plan to add some ice.

Take care.
Kat

genkitummy said...

What a great idea. It's been so hot in TX, so I enjoy all your tips to minimize the oven and stove usage.
btw, i like your new background!

K and S said...

Thanks Genki, hope you stay cool in TX.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Wow Kat, I'm mentally perspiring by reading this post. I just can't imagine the humidity that you must be going through. Here, I had to take out the wool blankets because it drops to below 60's at night. Crazy weather! (but tea is always good, no?)

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena, the humidity is awful during the summer, the heat is often compared to being hotter than Bangkok! I am envious of your 60s...tea is always a good thing :)

Take care.
Kat

Jenster said...

I love the cold-brewed method, too. I usually put about 8 tea bags into a large pitcher of water and stick it in my fridge overnight. Then I remove my tea bags and have a nice refreshing pitcher of ice tea! Right now I'm making a batch combining regular black tea with mango black tea.

I used to make sun-tea, which you make by setting a large jar of water and tea bags in the sun for several hours, but I find the cold-brewed method just as effective. Also, I read an article that leaving your jar of water in the hot sun can generate a lot of bacteria, so that's another reason for cold-brewed.

I'm enjoying your food photos so much, Kat!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Looks good--I'll have to try brewing that way.

K and S said...

Wow! the mention of sun tea brought back some memories, thanks Jenster :)

Thanks Debinhawaii, hope you like tea this way :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Unknown said...

I also like that mizudashi technique.

K and S said...

Love this method Rick :)

Take care.
Kat

Barbara said...

I have a friend who uses the cold brew method for coffee which he then turns into iced coffee.

K and S said...

This method is perfect for summer Barbara :)

Take care.
Kat