Saturday, June 12, 2010

gazpacho

The weather last Friday was so hot that I wanted something that didn't involve standing by the stove, maybe even something "cool" for dinner.

I had a lot of veggies in my refridge and decided to try my hand at something new...gazpacho.

My food processor is teeny, I think it can hold like maybe a cup or less! So, I did this in portions.

First the green...half an onion, some celery leaves, a whole cucumber, some wilted cilantro, a tablespoon of vinegar, salt, pepper, a little water and some olive oil.

The red...roasted red bell pepper (half), roasted garlic (a nub), a whole carrot and a half can of chopped tomato, a tablespoon of vinegar, salt, pepper, couple dashes of cayenne and some olive oil.

I also had some leftover watercress, so I made a "drizzle" (a.k.a. blob) with watercress, olive oil and some water.

With the other half can of chopped tomato, I just mixed it in with "the red" mixture, without blending.

I have been looking around for an immersion blender, and have my eye on one. Hope to get it before soup season comes around. This was hard to get the texture that I wanted. The "green" was a bit too chunky.

To finish the soup, I sprinkled about a tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese.

NOTES: Even if the texture was "thick", I liked this, a great way to get in a LOT of veggies and keep cool. After making this, I thought that it may not fly with Satoshi because he likes his soup "hot" (even on the hottest day), but he thought it was good and was curious as to what I put in it, trying to guess the different vegetables.

I'm making this again (with my new immersion blender, for sure).

p.s. I'm sending this to Deb's Souper Sundays, always a great virtual gathering with soups, sammies and salads.

12 comments:

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - Looks great..... perfect thing to cool off!

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk, it was :)

Take care.
Kat

Kathy YL Chan said...

That looks gorgeous Kat!! I'm a huge fan of cold soups during the summer...especially cold borscht and chilled asparagus soups ^_^

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love gazpacho. I am making a cold tomato soup tomorrow with a spinach puree--not quite gazpacho but close. ;-) Want to send your soup to Souper Sundays?

K and S said...

Thanks Kathy :) Cold borscht and chilled asparagus soup sounds so good!

Thanks Debinhawaii, I'll send it right over :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

Don't even get me started on gazpacho. I'm out there everyday cheering the tomato plants on...Grow babies grow!!! Saw the start of the first cherry tomato this morning!

K and S said...

That is so cool Rowena, I got some goya sprouts (bittermelon) coming up, hopefully this year, I get some really nice goya :) (Last year, I had those teeny goya and then kaput!)

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

I love the yin yang appearance you gave the soup! Very creative.

genkitummy said...

What a great idea for a cool meal. It's so hot in Texas at the moment and using the stove/oven heats up our whole apartment. I'll have to make a cold soup for dinner this week!

K and S said...

Thanks Jalna, just playing with my food :)

Thanks Genki, hope you get a chance to make some cold soup :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Barbara said...

I love my immersion blender. I make hot soups in summer as I'm not keen on cold soup.

K and S said...

What brand of immersion blender do you have Barbara? Would love to know :)

Take care.
Kat