Monday, October 15, 2018

oomasari

Living in Tokyo, we are next door neighbors to Chiba prefecture.

Which means that we are able to get fresh peanuts from there.

The price of peanuts from Chiba are a bit pricey but I like that we can get fresh types.

Most that I'd seen in Osaka were already roasted to protect them from spoilage.

Also most of the reasonably priced types are from China.

The first thing I noticed about these peanuts were that they were HUGE

On the package it says that the variety is called "oomasari".

Apparently it is a hybrid of the "Nakate Yutaka" and "Jenkins Jumbo".

I am assuming that "Nakate Yutaka" is the name of the founder of this special peanut variety.

To prepare these peanuts I used this easy recipe.

The peanuts inside are almost 1 inch in length.

They are a little sweet.

Since they apparently do not last very long, I froze some for us to eat during the winter.

I'm glad we got to try this variety.

9 comments:

Rowena said...

every time i see that image of you holding it up in your palm, I'm like WHOA!

K and S said...

every time I look at that photo too, I am like whoa too, Rowena!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

still amazed at the size! Donki and Marukai have giant boiled peanuts that I always buy but they don't compare!

did you ever notice that anything that's sweet doesn't last long...mouth-wise and shelf-wise, LOL.

v

K and S said...

that is true V... :)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

That might be the largest peanut I've ever seen Kat.....

alibaba37 said...

Huge is an understatement! LOL. I like that you are squirreling away nuts for winter.

K and S said...

it is definitely the largest I've ever seen Kirk :)

lol alibaba37 :)

Take care you two.
Kat

jalna said...

Whoa!!!!

K and S said...

Jalna, huge yeah?!

Take care.
Kat