Thursday, October 18, 2018

shunkoen

Sunday, we brought some electronics that we do not need anymore to Book Off to see what they would "buy" from us.

In Japan, many recycle shops, will pay a little to buy recyclables for them to re-sell.

Depending on how old or new the item is, and if it is something that can be resold, will determine how much they will pay you for them.

We've gone to recycle shops in the past and received no payment for our items...some have also gotten rid of some of our items for free (most times we need to pay to have things thrown out).

While we were waiting for their estimate, we had lunch at Shunkoen.

I ordered their mabo tofu lunch and it was HUGE.

Beside the main dish, there was a salad, some egg drop soup and pickles.

Satoshi had to help me finish my food.

Satoshi also had their ramen and yaki gyoza set.

The ramen was shoyu based but I was amazed by their gyoza.

They were huge!

Satoshi says they were filled with soup, like XLB (xiao long bao) or as the Japanese call them "shorompo".

Everything was tasty and I'm glad we got to try this place...we'll be back.

As for our electronics, Book Off gave us 1250 yen for all of them!

We were surprised and happy as we were only expecting them to give us 10 yen or not even anything for all of it...guess it "pays" to recycle.

Shunkoen
5-22-1 Kamata
Ota, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3733.7677
Lunch 11:00-14:00, Dinner 17:00-24:00 (Mondays-Saturdays
(Sundays only open for lunch)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

everything looks so ono! I was recently craving mapo tofu too. That gyoza looks like it was made from one piece of pi(?) and soup inside? like shanghai dim sum? now I'm craving Chinese food again! Too bad doggy bags aren't popular in Japan.
at least your recycle paid for part of your lunch!
v

K and S said...

I think the gyoza was made individually V, but they like to add "wings" to them by adding a little flour to the griddle when they fry them up.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

i love that recycle shop concept, can't beat getting some moola for old stuff!

jalna said...

Score!!! I went to Book Off in Ikebukuro with photos of two books that I wanted. The people there were really helpful, but it still was daunting looking through all the book spines for my matching Japanese characters. Plus my sisters were waiting so I had to hurry. I had planned to go back by myself later, but NOOOOO I was always too tired.

K and S said...

I agree Rowena!

Send me the photos, Jalna, I'll go look for you.

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Man, those are huge gyoza Kat! And you both managed to finish everything.

K and S said...

Kirk, I didn't...Satoshi did :)

Take care.
Kat