Monday, April 24, 2023

back to kagurazaka

Friday, I went back to Kagurazaka.

Unlike the weekends, Kagurazaka is quite empty during the weekdays.

Most of the people that crowded the train station at the time I went, were students going to the nearby university.

I stopped into Akha Ama for Khemkhon, a washed dark roasted coffee from the Doi Chaang Village Chiang Rai Thailand,  that I had iced...600 yen (tax included), love! it was chocolatey, spicy and caramel-y

The tiny terrace in front of the shop is for people with their furry ones.

Friend, K, had given me their coffee way back in 2016, as omiyage (souvenir) when she visited Thailand.

Glad I was able to re-connect with them here in Tokyo.

Loved the coasters.
 

A couple of steps away is Pain des Philosophes.

Another tiny shop that sells all sorts of hard types of breads as well as some croissant type treats.

I timed it so I would be there just a little after they opened, and they already had a line!

I purchased a baguette and a pain au chocolat...720 yen (tax included)

Loved the ratio of chocolate and butter!

The baguette after toasted was a little too hard for my teeth, but I still enjoyed the taste.
Next time, I'm gonna take out coffee from Akha Ama and buy a pain au chocolat and sit in this park nearby...

And then I bought some fried things from Ohnoya Beef for our dinner.

Not sure how I learned about this shop though.

Ika (squid), ebi (shrimp), filet katsu & matsusaka beef menchi (fried hamburger)....860 yen (tax included) for all four pieces 

They also sell bento as well as raw meats.

The filet and menchi were so good! Juicy and lots of flavor.

I bought the ika & shrimp for Satoshi and he said both were delicious.

I like that the panko coating doesn’t separate from the meats too

Blazing again but it was nice to get back to this area, more cafes and places I want to check out, I'll be back.

Akha Ama Coffee
1-25 Akagi Motomachi
Shinjuku, Tokyo
Phone: 03.6280.8755
Open 8:00-19:00 daily

Pain des Philosophes
1-8 Higashigokencho
Shinjuku, Tokyo
Phone: 03.6874.5808
Closed Mondays
Hours: 10:30-19:00

Ohnoya Beef
6-8-58 Kagurazaka
Shinjuku, Tokyo
Phone: 090.1842.2311
Open 10:30-19:00 daily

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have my sticker posted on my wall about this place that serves gyudon with gold flakes sprinkled on from a restaurant in Kagurazaka but I think you told me it's closed down. Shozantei. Glad I got over my desire to go.
It's been so very hot and humid here too! I guess I have to start hanging out at the malls again to save on my home A/C. LOL, but only if I leave my charge cards at home.
v

K and S said...

I'm gonna have to hang at the mall too V, our electricity rates are supposed to go up again.

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Nice baguette Kat! One of the key indicators for fried items is that the breading doesn't separate from the product for me as well.

K and S said...

I agree Kirk!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

ooooh...baguette and pain au chocolat, I want to go to France now.

K and S said...

I wanna go vicariously with you Rowena :)

Take care.
Kat