Wednesday, April 26, 2023

egg poacher

After seeing this on a television show, I wanted to get it and finally found it at different location of Seria.

It is supposed to make "perfect" soft poached eggs, or what Japanese call "onsen tamago"...like the photo on the package

In Japan, you often see these types of eggs served with bento or at ryokan (Japanese inn), when you crack the egg into a bowl, the soft poached egg just slips out, the whites are really soft and the yolk is oozy and they are often eaten with a shoyu based sauce.

Put the gadget into the sink, add your eggs and fill the gadget up to the line with boiling water

I tried to measure the amount of water before doing this, but it started releasing the water as I was refilling my cup...anyway, I think it uses about 4 cups of water

As soon as you put the hot water in it starts releasing the water, so make sure to put it into the sink before starting!

There is a teeny hole at the bottom that slowly releases the hot water...it takes about 13 minutes.

After the 13 minutes, remove the eggs carefully from the gadget, it's HOT!

Crack the egg, like it was raw, and it should just slip out

I think my eggs were too small or maybe the 13 minutes was too long or maybe a combination of both because I had to use a spoon to get these out of the shell. 

The yolks were not oozy like most onsen tamago I have eaten in the past.

Will need to tweak the time with the size of the eggs, I think.

But I like that you don't need to fiddle with them over the stove to poach.

The Japanese have gadgets for everything.

ps this is Made in Japan & BPA free

I think the hole is 1/10 of a centimeter
This is the inside "filter"
It is removable so you can wash it.

The poacher can hold 745 milliliters (3.14 cups)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

bibimbap! Amazing. So you only have to put boiling water and it will poach the egg in about 14 minutes? double amazing!
doesn't seria usually have more made in Japan stuff? I always look for them.
v

K and S said...

yes V, just put the boiling water into the container and wait, but gotta adjust the time, I'm not sure about Seria but I like when 100 yen shops have more made in Japan stuff.

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Very, very cool!!

K and S said...

Jalna, hope I can tweak the time to get it the way I envisioned :)

Take care!
Kat

KirkK said...

Interesting gadget Kat.

K and S said...

Kirk, they have a gadget for everything :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

how big is the hole at the bottom? I got a ton of plastic food containers that I could just MacGyver one for myself, just to experiment.

K and S said...

I'll take a couple of photos and post them here Rowena.

Take care!
Kat