Wednesday, October 25, 2023

tensui

Last night, Satoshi and I met up with family friend, D who is travelling around Japan.

We met at Tensui, a small izakaya near JR Shinagawa Station.

It's a good thing we made reservations because the place was packed!

Avocado Shrimp salad (more avocado than shrimp)

3 kinds of sashimi and katsuo tataki (seared bonito)
Maitake (hen of the wood) cooked in butter
And deep fried whale...it was D's first time trying it and I thought my second but after looking through my blog archives it was my fourth time!

D gave us all these snacks! (Thank you!)

We were happy to be able to spend some time with D, we hope he had enough to eat and hope he enjoys the rest of his trip.

Not sure if we'll be back to Tensui, but it was a nice izakaya that doesn't allow smoking!

Tensui
4-11-16 Takanawa, Keikyu #11 Building 3F
Minato, Tokyo
Closed Saturdays, Sundays & Holidays 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you like whale meat? Is it oily?
My Kula cousin just got me addicted to lemon peel gummy bears again and he uses Enjoy brand that is already mixed but adds more stuff so it's sticky, wet, and ADDICTNG!!!! I kind of wonder how the recipe would work with the sour patch kids.
v

Rowena said...

I remember at least one post where you had some whale. I dunno, whale is something that I won't eat for ethical reasons, but is it a specific species that the majority of people don't know about?

K and S said...

V, whale is kind of fatty, but fishy tasting too. I've always wondered how they make the wet gummies, V.

Rowena, in Japan they ate whale especially after WWII as source of proteins. Satoshi said he had it as school lunch, nowadays I don't think they serve it to school kids, but you can still find it at some fishmarkets and canned.

Take care you two.
Kat

Saburo said...

This place looks great! Wish we'd found a place like this when we stayed in the Prince, so many years ago. I went to the restaurant website and punched up the menu. My sisters would... NOT have liked it much.

K and S said...

Saburo, I should've picked a restaurant closer to your hotel...was more concerned with what your sisters would eat/not eat.

Take care!
Kat

Saburo said...

Nah, that was a really good place. Like I said: "meat and rice" and that's what they had!

K and S said...

Saburo, See you guys again when you come this way!

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

That looks like a nice meal Kat!

K and S said...

Kirk, nice meal with nice company :)

Take care.
Kat