Thursday, October 19, 2023

deconstructed onigiri bongo

Last year I got to try Onigiri Bongo with friend Dennis, which I wrote about here.

Haven't been able to bring Satoshi to try this (yet), so I decided to try making the combo that Dennis tried...shoyu marinated egg yolk & soboro.

Egg yolks marinated in shoyu (soy sauce)

Soboro (minced pork & beef simmered in a sauce) 
Because I was lazy, instead of making an onigiri, I did a deconstructed version.

Here's the recipe I found online from the owner, Yumiko Ukon, which I translated : makes 2 onigiri.

Marinated egg yolks: (1 per onigiri)

2 yolks

1 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce)

The recipe didn't say how much shoyu and I wasn't going to use more than a tablespoon, because I didn't know what to do with the shoyu after marinating the egg yolks.

NOTES: I marinated the yolks for about 7 hours, I think a little longer would've been better, but these were jammy enough for us.

Soboro : 50 grams for 1 onigiri

100 grams minced beef pork mixture

1.5 tablespoons sugar

1.5 tablespoons shoyu

1.5 tablespoons ginger juice (grate ginger then squeeze)

In a medium heated pan, saute the meat until it turns color then add the sugar, shoyu and ginger juice, turn the heat down and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.

For 1 onigiri, use 160 grams of cooked rice.

Nori 20 cm (about 7.8 inches) length x 10 cm (about 3.9 inches) width

Onigiri Bongo's onigiri are larger than the ones you find at the convenience store, they don't "mold" their onigiri tightly, so when eating they seem light and "airy" which is probably why some people can eat 3 in one sitting!

Anyway, if you try this I hope you like it.

I'm glad I tried marinated egg yolks, it is not something I'd do often though.

The soboro will definitely be made again.

And I hope I'll be able to bring Satoshi to try this place in the future.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting about the eggs.
Now days' I seem to be eating a lot of deconstructed onigiri. Too lazy to make the balls. Makes you eat way more nori.
v

Anonymous said...

How do you get ginger juice? just grate and squeeze?
v

K and S said...

V, just grate and squeeze. Will add that to my post, thanks!

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Beautiful yolks!

K and S said...

Jalna, love the eggs in Japan :)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Nice recipe Kat!

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk :)

Take care.
Kat