Monday, May 12, 2014

bogart's cafe

There are a lot of Hawaii eateries that have brought shops to Japan. They start off in Tokyo and then if they are popular they spread themselves around Japan.

While I am happy that a piece of "home" can be found here, I haven't checked out most because I don't want to be disappointed.

There is something about eateries that come from Hawaii that lose their "local" feel about them.

Well, the other day, I was in the area, so I decided to check out Bogart's Cafe.

I've never been to the one in Hawaii, so I didn't know what to expect.

I liked that the feel to the place was laid back and that they were playing Hawaiian music.

They are apparently popular for their eggs benedict, pancakes and açaí bowl.

Instead I ordered their BLT...900 yen and a drink...300 yen.

If you've been reading this blog, you know that "bacon" is hard to come by in Japan, usually you get what we call "Canadian bacon". It is rare if you ever get something crispy.

Well, the bacon was hard.as.rock. I mean how long do you have to cook bacon for it to get that hard?!

One of my friend on Tabera (Japan's Instagram for food) said, "you should've left it on your plate"...um, no, if I am paying 900 yen for it, I am eating it all, as bad as it was...eep!

The fries were crisp but had pepper all over it, I know some people like to dip their fries in catsup & pepper but it was a bit overwhelming for me...

So, will I go back there? No.

I do want to try Bogart's in Hawaii though....have a nice week!

8 comments:

Rowena said...

I just cannot imagine bacon being that hard, so kudos to you for finishing it off anyway. I wonder if they nuked it to death or what?

K said...

Mmm, now I want bacon, haha ;o)

K and S said...

dunno Rowena, but I'm glad I didn't break my teeth...

lol K!

Take care you two.
Kat

jalna said...

Bummahs.

Chad said...

Thanks for the meal idea! I had no idea that Bogart's was a cafe here in Honolulu. Have you had Kua Aina yet? I've passed the Namba Osaka, and Shibuya locations a few times and wondered how it was compared to the Kua Aina in Honolulu and Haleiwa.

K and S said...

Jalna, I know :(

Chad, like I said, I don't want to be disappointed, so no, I haven't tried Kua Aina in Japan.

Take care you two!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Interestingly enough, many replica shops and restaurants in Japan have not been authorized by and are not actually related to their Hawaii counterparts. As a result, they are infringing upon intellectual property rights of the Hawaii shop. Litigation is pending in many of those instances...

K and S said...

did not know this Loumagnuson, thanks for the heads-up!

Take care!
Kat