Wednesday, June 19, 2019

anpan & gardenias

It has been many years since I've baked bread.

I have this type of yeast, which was a freebie in a foodie magazine.

I have had it in my freezer and it is WAY past the expiry date!

Since yesterday was quite warm, I decided to try baking with the yeast.

On the 1st proof, it rose...whew!

I weighed and divided it into 7 pieces.

After the 2nd proof, I filled them with an (sweet bean paste).

It was my first time using this yeast as well as trying a pain de campagne (country bread) recipe.

After baking, some oozed.

I tasted one, the texture seems to be good and there was a nice crust.

Breakfast tomorrow : anpan!

I wanted to show you this gardenia bush that I found on the side of the road nearby.

Love the fragrance of gardenia (the Japanese call it "kuchinashi").

It is gardenia season here and I have seen some homes with them in their yards.

Are the gardenia blooming where you are?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow pretty cool you made the bread, I use to love baking different bread products many many years ago. I also found a bread maker but too lazy to bake and I like the shokupan style which Don Quixote carries whole loaf that I can make to my own thickness for about $3. I love the gardenias that is my fave flower and I miss the shrubs at my mom's house. When they bloomed we had 'em everywhere. And yet to buy them it's like $8-10 for about 8 stems. Takai! -N

K and S said...

wow that is expensive N!

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Awesome! There's something very satisfying about working with yeast, yah.

K and S said...

I agree Jalna :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

don't tell me that the freebie is a 1-pounder! we used that (and the gold saf) at the bakery. what memories!

K and S said...

Rowena, no no, it was 10 packets with 3 grams of yeast in each.

Take care!
Kat