Saturday, June 22, 2019

diamond head market & grill's blueberry cream cheese scones

Finally tried making Diamond Head Market & Grill's Blueberry Cream Cheese Scones.

The recipe is in the "By Request Cookbook by Betty Shimabukuro".

I kind of adlibbed because I didn't have the amount of cream cheese the recipe called for.

I also cheated and pulsed the dough together in my food processor.

This scones really "poofs up" and after baking is "huge".

Blueberry Cream Cheese Scones by Diamond Head Market & Grill, published in "By Request by Betty Shimabukuro"
1/3 cup butter, cut in pieces
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup frozen blueberries, thawed, rinsed and drained, sprinkled with sugar
2 ounces cream cheese, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine butter, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl and cut with a pastry blender or two butter knives until crumbly.

Stir milk into softened cream cheese, then stir in egg until well-combined. Stir cream cheese mixture into flour mixture until dough forms a ball.

Gently push blueberries and cream cheese pieces into the dough to incorporate evenly. Be careful not to crush the berries or mash the cream cheese pieces.

Spoon mounds of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet to make 8 scones. Tuck berries and cream cheese pieces into the dough as much as possible. (Or, for traditional scones, gently pat the dough into a 9-inch circle on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut into 8 wedges, but do not separate.)

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until golden. Makes 8 scones.


NOTES: This was delicious...with all that butter, it should be, right?!

This recipe goes against my rule about only using 50 grams of butter, but I'm glad I tried it.

Instead of folding the berries and cream cheese into the dough, I sandwiched it between the dough.

Next time, I will put all the all the blueberries and cream cheese in between the dough because they didn't "sink" into the scone like I thought it would, they just stayed up top.

9 comments:

jalna said...

My favorite!!

K and S said...

Jalna, have you tried the one at Aiea Bowl? That one is ono too!

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Nice recipe.....that's a lot of butter for 8 scones Kat!

K and S said...

Kirk, I agree!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

good for you only 50 grams. I try to be "reasonable" when it comes to butter, but sometimes it's so hard to resist.

K and S said...

Rowena, the butter blocks used to be 200 grams and now is only 150 grams. So by limiting my baking only to use 50 grams per recipe, I used to be able to bake 4 things but now only 3...

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I am not a baker but made these scones and it was delicious. I used self rising flour since that was all I had and cut the baking powder to only 1 teaspoon. I mixed the berries into the batter instead of just putting them on top and it was incorporated just right. I also grated some freeh lemon zest into the dough and it adds a nice freshness.
Great recipe and very easy. Thank you!

K and S said...

Thanks Anon glad it turned our nicely for you:)

Take care!
Kat

K and S said...

Thanks Anon glad it turned our nicely for you:)

Take care!
Kat