Saturday, November 02, 2019

foodie thursday

Thursday I went to check out some antenna shops in the Shinbashi-Yurakucho area.

My first stop was the Tottori-Okayama shop because I was in search of rakkyo (pickled scallions).

A lot of makers in Japan use scallions from China along with artificial sweeteners (because both are probably cheaper), but the ones from Tottori prefecture seem to be more "natural" using their locally grown scallions and sugar.

The shop also had a kim chee version as well as some anpogaki.

Then I walked towards Ginza and stumbled upon Kuuya.

Apparently they have been in business since 1884!

Their monaka (wafers filled with sweet bean paste) is so popular that normally you need to reserve the amount you want to purchase.

Luckily, they were not sold out and I was able to purchase a box.

Actually, I had originally only wanted 2 pieces (1 for me and 1 for Satoshi) but they don't sell them individually, so bought a box 10 pieces.

These were delicious! the wafer was light and a little crisp, the sweet bean paste wasn't overly sweet.

Friday, I sent Satoshi with the rest of the box to share with his co-workers.

As I walked towards Ginza, I enjoyed looking at the different buildings...like the Shiseido Building.

And the Mikimoto Building.

I also checked out the new Muji.

They sell veggies as well as have a Muji Hotel above the store.

At the edge of Yurakucho is the Kochi Antenna shop.

I bought some katsuo (bonito) products and look forward to trying them.

Across the road is the Marunouchi area.

Japan has been hosting the Rugby World Cup since mid-September and the finals are this weekend.

They also have a temporary Rugby Shrine at the Maru Building...it was fun to see various objet, like this ninja

and a bronze statue of sumo wrestler Tochinoshin in "rugby mode".

Lunch was at Wise Sons, a San Francisco Deli.

I had the small pastrami reuben...delicious.

The basement area of the Maru Building have many eateries and shops.

I checked out Akomeya...a shop that is dedicated to rice and all things that can be eaten with rice. Will check out the main shop in Ginza another day!

We tried this rice flour sweet filled with sweet potato and sweet bean paste and these soy beans with seasoned arare (rice cracker) coatings.

My last stop before catching the train was Zopf's curry pan stand.

This popular Chiba bakery sells their curry pan inside of the wickets of the JR Tokyo station in an area called GrandSta.

The curry is spicy, I'm glad we tried this.

Lots of walking, lots of eating..I'm glad the last day of October was a sunny one.

Tottori Okayama Antenna Shop
1-11-7 Shinbashi
Minato, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3571.0092
Hours: 10:00-21:00

Kuuya
6-7-19 Ginza
Chuo, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3571.3304
Closed Sundays
Hours: Mondays-Fridays 10:00-17:00, Saturdays 10:00-16:00

Kochi Antenna Shop
1-3-13 Ginza
Chuo, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3538.4365
Hours: 10:30-20:00

Wise Sons Tokyo
2-4-1 Marunouchi, Maru Building B1F
Chiyoda, Tokyo
Phone: 03.6551.2477
Hours: Mondays-Fridays 7:30-21:00, Saturdays & Sundays 8:30-21:00

Akomeya
2-4-1 Marunouchi, Maru Building B1F
Chiyoda, Tokyo
Phone: 03.6206.3349
Hours: Mondays-Saturdays 11:00-21:00, Sundays & Holidays 11:00-20:00

Zopf
inside of JR Tokyo wicket, in GranSta B1

6 comments:

K said...

I took photos of Chiko-chan and Hanyu Yuzuru at the Rugby area haha!

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine always buys dashi from Akomeya so I thought it was something like Kayanoya. Interesting that it's specialty is rice!
Does that shop that sells the rakkyo also make the ume/shiso flavor too? I haven't eaten rakkyo for years, my grandma and father used to like it. I think Ken bought some once but it was all soft, must have been a bad batch or old, yuck.

STILL hot here! ugh.
v

jalna said...

Great scores!!

K and S said...

I guess I didn't walk around enough, I didn't see them, K!

yes, the Tottori Antenna shop had ume shiso flavored rakkyo too, V! hope the weather gets cooler for your guys!

Thanks Jalna!

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

that is interesting about scallions from China being used, since the locally grown produce you show on your blog always look great.

K and S said...

I think companies making pickles in large volumes use the scallions from China, Rowena, to cut costs.

Take care.
Kat