Thursday, August 17, 2023

corn karaage

Have been wanting to try to make corn karaage ever since we tried it at Shake Chazuke.

Found an easy recipe online and decided to give it a try since corn is in season now.

From ESSE 6.2023
1 corn
1 tablespoon cornstarch
oil to fry

Sauce: 
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons mirin
2 tablespoons shoyu
2 tablespoons sake

Bring the sauce ingredients to a boil then set aside to cool
Clean the corn and then lay the corn on the cutting board and cut into thirds and then stand each piece up and cut into fourths
Shake the corn in the cornstarch
Fry
Put the fried corn into the sauce after frying

NOTES: I first cut the corn into thirds then instead of fourths, I cut it into six wedges. 

Be careful when cutting the corn!

Look for corn cobs that aren’t too thick, so it won’t be too hard to cut

I put the cornstarch into a plastic bag and shook the corn in it to coat

I didn’t want to deep fry so I heated about 3 tablespoons of oil and fried each side of the corn (about 1 minute on each side)

Instead of making the sauce I saw something online where someone used a shoyu butter sauce for their corn karaage, so I tried that instead, but it was too oily...blah!

Next time, I would probably sprinkle the elote spice blend I have, everything but the bagel spice blend or some other type of spice blend instead.

Still this was delicious when eaten right after it had been fried.

Not the best thing to make when it is already broiling in our apartment, but since corn is in season, it was the best time to try.

I hope to try this again.

ps Luckily Typhoon Dora ran out of gas, and we were okay after Typhoon Lan, though I hope areas in Tottori and Kyoto will be able to get back on their feet soon.

3 comments:

KirkK said...

Nice recipe. Wonder if I could add salted egg yolk.

Anonymous said...

This looks good! I think over here, everyone tries to sell young corn probably so more tender so when I try cutting the kernels, a lot falls off. Or myabe I'm not cutting deep enough.
v

K and S said...

Kirk, hope you like it with the salted egg yolk :)

V, hmm :)

Take care you two.
Kat