Monday, July 11, 2011

foodie friday in hawaii

Friday I met up with Deb of Kahakai Kitchen.

She is a very busy person, like all my friends are, so I was happy she had some time to squeeze me in.

We met up at Fresh Catch in Kaimuki. My mom had eaten here previously and warned me about their "furikake on everything".

Their plates were rather big, so we opted for their sandwiches...

Deb ordered the Smokin' Hawaiian Sandwich which is made up of smoked meat, which kind of reminded me of pipikaula and or char siu, grilled onions & peppers, mushrooms and some cheese on a very soft roll...This was sinfully delicious with all of the smoked meat that was in there.

Deb also ordered the Special Fries...meh, it tasted like how curly fries taste, a little spicy, but there was so much mayo and furikake on there, it didn't thrill us and we kept wondering what made it so special.

I chose the Ahi Belly Sandwich.

It was a deep fried piece of ahi belly, grilled onions, some cheese and there was a sunny-side up egg.

This was messy and there were some hard parts in the fish...meh!

Overall, our favorite was the smoked meat sandwich.

After lunch, we checked out Glazer's Coffee.

It was both our first time and I was quite surprised...when you walk in you feel like you walked into the library...shh!

We chatted for a bit until the guy next to us (with earphones on) moved away...were we making too much noise?! I didn't think so.

Here's Deb's caramel latte with a cute bear...we were also surprised that our drinks were served in paper cups even though we ordered them "for here".

My cafe latte had a heart?! on it.

They didn't seem to have many sweets though we shared a biscotti, and it seemed like most people in there were working.

I think I would go back when I needed some "me" time, but would feel too uncomfortable chatting with a friend, it was just too quiet in there!

Which is weird because my gripe about going to cafes in Japan are that they are just too noisy...sigh!

Deb was also kind enough to share with me this Trader Joe's chocolate bar...70% dark chocolate with caramel and black sea salt....sweet + salty + dark chocolate = yum!...this is why we need a Trader Joe's in Hawaii (hint hint)

She also gave me some homemade tropical jams (mango and coconut pineapple)...I can't wait to share these with Satoshi.

And lastly, Whole Foods was having a great sale on cherries and she also shared these with me too...so good!

A great foodie day spent with a great foodie friend. Thank you for spending time with me Deb, I hope you had fun too.

Fresh Catch
3109 Waialae Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.735.7653
Closed Mondays

Glazer's Coffee
2700 South King Street (kitty corner from Kokua Market)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.391.6548

12 comments:

Rowena said...

Glad to see you out eating your way around Oahu. Funny about the furikake on everything...sounds like me when I bring some back from the islands. I don't let up until the stash is gone!

K and S said...

That is funny about you and furikake Rowena :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

When I was in Honolulu a month ago, I used to drink Caramel Latte every day. Mmmm, YUM!

Sandy

Japan Australia said...

A great day of food!! I don't know about furikake on my fries though.

Japan Australia

K and S said...

that sounds delicious Sandy!

yeah, it was a bit different J-A.

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - That smoked meat looked a lot like what Side Street Inn makes.... and does look fantastic!

genkitummy said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful day! Is that a new jam company in Hawaii? I cannot wait to read your review on the jams.

K said...

Looks like a wonderful food day!

K and S said...

I've wanted to go to Side Street Inn for some time now Kirk, hope to go soon!

I'm not sure Genki, will check and get back to you on it :)

Thanks K, it was :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

K and S said...

Genki,
here is their link Homemade Jams of Hawaii.

Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

It was a fun day! (Even with the fries!) Thanks for my goodies too and for making time to hang out with me. It's always a pleasure. ;-)

K and S said...

I wouldn't mind getting one of those smokin' sandwiches for the plane ride back, Deb in Hawaii :)

Take care.
Kat