Friday, July 29, 2011

home bar & grill and off the wall

It's been almost a year since I've seen D, our family friend. I first wrote about him here and then again last year here.

Since he knew I was in town, he asked if I would like to go check out a relatively new place called "Home Bar & Grill".

Our other family friend, Neil is cooking the food there, which I've written about here. In that time, he had moved to this new establishment.

We got together with some of D's friends and it was 9 of us drinking shots and eating all sorts of food like tater tot nachos, kalbi with fried noodles, toro sashimi...just search for this place and you can see all sorts of photos of the food there, different but very delicious!

I'm actually a wimp when it comes to shots, so mine were sipped (ahem!)...anyway it was a fun time.

As we wrapped up the evening, we planned to get together with D's friend, B, during the week for dinner.

Well, on Tuesday, we met B at Off the Wall in the Pearl Kai Shopping Center.

I'd never been here, but my parents had and they had even ordered their Thanksgiving turkey from them one year.

The food is Okinawa meets Hawaii local-style food.

We tried Shoyu Pork "pasta" I put pasta in quotes because they actually use the Okinawan soba instead of Italian pasta.

We also ordered some edamame hummus, a "naked" spicy ahi poke musubi (a layer of rice topped with some spicy ahi poke), fukuoka style tonkatsu (choy sum wrapped with bacon then wrapped with thinly sliced pork, breaded then deep fried) and some goya champuru.

I also tried an apple saketini (like a martini but made with sake)...super fruity.

They let us try something that wasn't on the menu (I think), an okonomiyaki gyoza...a fried gyoza topped with some okonomiyaki sauce...so delicious!

One interesting thing on their menu was the chocolate filled andagi...so chocolatey and not too sweet.

Another item they let us try that wasn't on the menu, a deconstructed banana foster.

Banana and salted caramel gelato, a caramelized banana and some salty crunch like things on the bottom...good but a little too sweet.

Lots of food, lots of chatter and good fun! Thanks B & D!

Home Bar & Grill
1683 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.942.2235

Off the Wall
Pearl Kai Shopping Center
98-199 Kamehameha Highway
Aiea, Hawaii
Phone: 808.486.WALL (9255)
Closed: Mondays

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, I am so jealous I can't eat this delicious food. Everything looks so yummy. The apple saketini sounds very interesting. Uh, huh...I am hungry. This reminded me I have to buy a new bottle of sake for mu husband (he adores sake).

Have a beautiful day...

Sandy

K and S said...

hope you get a nice bottle for him, Sandy :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Sounds like some great meals with great people! I love the mashup of the Okinawa-type foods :o)

Japan Australia said...

Lots of delicious food. The fried gyoza topped with okonomiyaki sauce sounds like a tasty combination :)

Japan Australia

indium said...

so great story.. grad to read your blog.
thanks

OkiHwn said...

I know the co-owner/chef of Off the Wall - Grant "Sanda" Murata, formerly of Asahi Grill and also Hanagasa Restaurant/Bar (where I met him). He is a wizard with Okinawan food.

K and S said...

definitely a great gathering K!

it really was J-A!

thanks indium

Take care everyone!
Kat

Rowena said...

That is CHOKE good food! Edamame hummus? Now there's an idea i like.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I think I ate at Off the Wall several months ago--across from Pearlridge Mall. ;-)

Tamakikat said...

Sounds like a lot of fun Kat.

K and S said...

he is a wizard, Nate!

I really want to try to make this version Rowena!

I hope you liked the food Deb in Hawaii!

It was TK :)

Take care everyone.
Kat