Monday, July 18, 2011

sato's okazuya

Do you like fried noodles? I do.

I prefer them dry, not "wet" like some places serve them. In Hawaii, most places use saimin for their fried noodles.

In Japan they are called yakisoba sometimes yakiudon depending on the type of noodles that are used. And there are "dry" & "wet" types of fried noodles here too.

To me, the "wet" types are on the mushy side.

One day, while I was surfing around, I came across a place in Waipahu that is supposed to serve "the best" fried saimin at Sato's Okazuya.

I had never heard of this place before, but wanted to check them out. So after an errand in Waipahu, we picked up the small size to divide amongst my mom, dad and I for lunch...US$4 + tax.

Their small was rather large because when they measure out the serving, they use a paper tray, no weighing, then just heap it on afterwards.

The noodles are dry, chewy, almost al dente, there is a lot of flavor from the spam, char siu and other veggies that are in there too.

While they do have other items on their menu (which we didn't order), I think this one is their star.

Even if you come before the lunch crowd, be prepared to wait, they are constantly making new batches of fried saimin to keep up with the orders.

Do I think they make the best? Maybe and I would definitely go back here to get some when the craving hits me.

Sato's Okazuya
94-235 Hanawai Circle (Y-H building across parking lot of Waipahu Festival Marketplace)
Waipahu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.677.5503

p.s. today is Umi no Hi (Ocean Day) in Japan, a national holiday, unfortunately, I hear there may be a typhoon approaching the Pacific coastlines of Okinawa & Japan, stay safe you guys!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore fried noodles! I could it them every day. I usually prepare them with lots of fresh vegetables (like shiitake mushrooms, green, red and orange peppers, green onions, carrots, garlic).

Sandy

Dennis K. said...

Wow Yaki-Saimin sounds really really good!

K and S said...

I like the sound of yours Sandy, with all the delicious veggies in it!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I don't like fried noodles so much, I got so turned off by the sauce used in Yakisoba, but I did love eating Shahe Fen, and I scoop up some when I'm abroad but this dish looks like it was lure me in!!!

K and S said...

when you come here Dennis, be sure to have some :)

this doesn't have sauce Elle Marie, but I know what you mean, this is kinda like the shio yakisoba in Japan :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I'm no fried noodle expert but these do look really good. ;-)

Japan Australia said...

I love fried noodles and especially Japanese Yakisoba. My favourite is Yakisoba with a runny egg on top and some Japanese mayonnaise.

Japan Australia

Rowena said...

Oh my god this is such a hunger inducer. I really.can.not.wait. til I get back home for some real local eats.

K and S said...

I hope you get a chance to try them Deb in Hawaii!

that sounds like a delicious combo J-A!

Thanks Rowena, can't wait to see your eats when you get here.

Take care everyone.
Kat

jalna said...

I looove fried saimin and this one looks REALLY GOOD!

K and S said...

if ever you get out to Waipahu, Jalna, hope you try them :)

Take care.
Kat

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I love Yakisoba so much. Okazuya sounds like "souzai" place, is it? Or just the name? I should have moved to Hawaii instead of here... looks like there are more Japanese things than SF for sure....

K and S said...

yes yes "osouzai-ya" is "okazuya" Nami, I think you would enjoy Hawaii, lots of Nikkei-jin here so lots of local Japanese foods. Not quite like Japan, but very very close.

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Yum, that looks delicious! I love noodles in all shapes, forms, and types ;o)

K and S said...

thanks K! I love all sorts of noodles too :)

Take care.
Kat

Su-Lin said...

Those look sooo good. I always wish I had a place near work that would offer dry fried noodles like this...

K and S said...

I will wish for a place for you Su-Lin :)

Take care.
Kat