Monday, July 04, 2011

good to grill

Technically on my blog it is the 4th of July, and since the 4th is all about the grill these days, I think I'll share with you a lunch we had recently from Good to Grill.

This shop is located in the same complex as the Kapahulu Safeway and BOTE.

Since most regular plate lunch items are rather large, we decided to order two and share between the three of us (Mom, Dad & me).

Our first choice was the braised short ribs with grilled mahi and pineapple salsa...US$13.99+tax

The ribs were off the bone and super tender, the marinade was a teriyaki style...really good!

The grilled mahi was a bit dry and needed the salsa to add some flavor.

Our only peeve with this was that they forgot to give us the side of greens we had ordered...boo!

The other plate we ordered was their Kona Pale Ale battered fish and chips...US$8.99+tax

The fish was moist and the outside really crunchy. I loved the tartar sauce too, lots of dill.

The waffle cut fries were flavorful but very very limp...meh!

We're glad we tried this place and would highly recommend the braised short ribs.

Hope your 4th is filled with lots of good fun and good food! Happy Birthday America!

Good to Grill (UPDATE: 2017 no longer in business)
888 Kapahulu Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.734.7345

12 comments:

KittyBonkers said...

Mmmmmmmm, the fish and waffle shaped chips look nice, it was a shame the chips were limp!

Kitty x

K and S said...

totally a shame Kitty B!

Take care.
Kat

Japan Australia said...

Some great food. The fish and waffle shaped chips look really good and I love the sound of the short ribs.

Japan Australia

jalna said...

Waffe cut fries! Never seen them before. Hopefully, it was just a bad fry day.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I still have not tried that place--I have only eaten at Burgers on the Edge in that center. ;-)

K and S said...

the ribs were so good, J-A! I would definitely order that again :)

I think we had to eat those fries there Jalna :)

They have some seafood choices Deb in Hawaii :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - This sounds like a place I need to check out on our next visit.... I remember when that location was Love's Bakery!

Jann said...

looks like a great meal~love finding new places!

K said...

I love waffle fries! Too bad they weren't crispy :o(

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I think I know what Waffle cut fries. I love them, but it's too bad yours weren't good. :-(

Rowena said...

Happy Belated 4th! I am still coming out of a food coma...this month is just crazy for food!

K and S said...

whoa Kirk that is way back when!

me too Jann :)

not crispy = not good K :)

I know Nami :(

enjoy yourself Rowena, you sure are working hard in that garden!

Take care everyone.
Kat