Saturday, July 02, 2011

pongo's kitchen

The other day we had some errands in town so on the way back home, we picked up some plate lunches at Pongo's Kitchen.

This tiny shop doesn't have seating in fact, they don't really have parking either.

Luckily, there were 3 of us, so while 1 jumped out to pick up the food, the rest of us stayed in the car.

Apparently, you can park at the auto body shop next door. (didn't find this out until afterwards...)

I ordered the special of the day: mini sweet and sour spareribs with macaroni salad and brown rice.

These spareribs were tender and meaty...delicious! (not sure of the price). My only peeve with this was that they "smushed" the rice into the scoop...

Loved that there was enough sweet and sour gravy to mix with the rice and mac salad...

Mom chose the mini guava chicken...um, it was spicy, there was a nice crunchy batter on the moist and meaty pieces of chicken, but no sign of guava anywhere...It actually tasted more like a sweet chili sauce rather than guava...US$5.25

Also, thumbs down to their "ranch" dressing, Mom said it tasted more like straight mayo.

Dad chose their grilled shrimp plate...he got 9 pieces of shrimp drizzle with garlic butter (we counted)...this was tasty.

But he also gave a thumbs down to their salad, too many big leaves....US$8

Kinda mixed reaction from this place, but for the most part, their food was good and pretty reasonably priced.

Pongo's Kitchen
414 Mokauea Street
Kalihi, Hawaii
Phone: 808.847.2291
Open Monday-Friday 9:00-14:00
Saturday 10:00-14:00

I know my blog says "Saturday" but it is Friday here, hope you have a great 4th of July weekend!

10 comments:

jalna said...

Hmmmm . . . never heard of this place.

Rowena said...

Now see, this is what I like about people going off to vacation - the food. I just need to find a few more bloggers who are heading out to faraway lands and I can sit back, relax and drink my Campari all in the comfort of my own home.

K said...

Yum! I love those types of dishes too where the sauce gets soaked up in the rice, mmm.

Japan Australia said...

The food looks really delicious. What is the one thing you miss most about the food in Hawaii that you always eat when you return home?

Japan Australia

K and S said...

I think one of my blog friends tweeted about it Jalna :)

he he thanks Rowena, hope I won't disappoint :)

K, mmm gravy/sauce and rice :)

there is no one thing, J-A, I just miss the local flavor and style of foods.

Take care everyone.
Kat

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Have a fabulous 4th, Kat!

Marie said...

Mouth watering!

K and S said...

You too Lizzy :)

Thanks Marie :)

Take care you two!
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I am craving that shrimp plate right now. ;-)

K and S said...

you can't really go wrong with garlic & butter Deb in Hawaii :)

Take care.
Kat