Thursday, July 14, 2011

wolfgang's steakhouse

Met up with my friends Val & Greg for lunch the other day.

We went to check out Wolfgang's Steakhouse in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center.

This restaurant is not Wolfgang Puck's, it is Wolfgang Zweiner's (apparently some people on Yelp thought it was Puck's and were disappointed when it wasn't)...anyway, they've been having this $10 lunch special ever since they opened up 2 years ago.

For US$10 + tax and tip, you can choose a WG burger (1/3 pound burger with lettuce tomato, onion, steak fries & onion rings) or their mahi sandwich or a seafood salad.

Well, I figured since we were going to a steakhouse, I should eat something steak-related, right??...hamburger.

At first, Greg told me, that they told him, they offered 3 kinds of cheeses, one being Gruyere...it turns out that they only have one...cheddar...sigh!

So, cheddar it was...and lest you think that this burger isn't big...take a look at it from another angle...

this one...humongous right??

I ended up eating the innards, some of the fries and all of the rings and leaving the sliced onions and bun because all the juices from the burger made the bun really soggy, mushy even.

Oh and that slice of cheese...ended up costing me an extra US$2!!! I think I could've bought a whole package for that amount...now, if it were for bacon, I may not be ranting...ahem!

Still, the burger was delicious, the company was good and the conversation never ending.

Oh, and if you plan to ride The Bus (I have already a couple of times on this trip home), it is now US$2.50 one way...

Thanks for a great lunch Greg & Val!

Wolfgang's Steakhouse
Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center 3rd floor
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.922.3600

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know the first thing I ate when I left nippon was a fabulous burger, I just love ground loin or lean meat.... something I can't get in Japan unless I go to the Hawaiian burger shop, but it's an hour plus drive! lol

This looks just super!

K and S said...

I agree it is something hard to find in Japan, Elle Marie :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

In addition to their burger special, Wolfgang's also offers fish & chips, a fish sandwich, and a teensy chopped salad with minced fruit (you know I'm hinting that the salad's not worth getting...nor was it very tasty) for the same price. My co-worker also recommends the steak salad (full price). Keep the food posts coming!!

K said...

$2 for a slice of cheese!?!?!!?

Japan Australia said...

Sounds like a good deal for around $10. I would also choose the burger but some bacon on top as well would be the deal sealer!!

Japan Australia

Deb in Hawaii said...

It sounds like a fun lunch--even with the soggy buns. (The hamburger buns not yours!) ;-)

Rowena said...

2 bucks for a slice of cheese???!! Highway robbery, and to think that it also got soggy.

Haven't rode the Bus in ages but good to know the current fare price. I'll be booking direct to Kauai so Oahu is out of the question this time around.

Gregg said...

Thanks for the tip on the $10 burger. I've only been there once for dinner and really liked it. They have a side of bacon which is sold as an appetizer for dinner. it's $8 which is expensive but it is really amazing tasting and I could just eat that shoved in a dinner roll for my meal there.

My offer to take the two of you to lunch still stands, btw.

KirkK said...

Wow.... the fare on Da Bus is now $2.50? Man, I remember when it was a quarter.

jalna said...

To show you how old I am, I remember when it cost 10 cents to catch the bus.

K and S said...

Thanks Anon!

I know K, ow!

definitely J-A!

LOL you are funny Deb in Hawaii!

seriously robbery Rowena!

Thanks so much Gregg! we appreciate the thought!

Kirk and Jalna, I don't think I'm as old as either of you (or maybe I am??) but I remember when it was a dime!

Take care everyone!
Kat