Friday, July 08, 2011

the fourth

So how was your 4th of July?

If you celebrated, I hope you all had a blast.

We got together for dinner at my Aunty M's so that we could watch the fireworks from her place afterwards.

Dinner was picnic foods...musubi, tamagoyaki (rolled omlette), teriyaki beef, chicken apple sausage, watercress salad, potato salad and fresh pineapple.

As appetizers, we also had store-bought spanakopita which is spinach and cheese (?) wrapped in phyllo...yum!

I also had a glass of 2009 Cupcake Red Velvet wine...a spicy red with some vanilla in it...loved the name and taste of it!

Here's my plate, 1st round...ahem! (the pineapple was so sweet and juicy! mmm!)

Dessert was apple pie with vanilla ice cream.

And then the fireworks show...thought this one looked like a hibiscus...so pretty.

Another great 4th of July, hope yours was filled with family, fun and food!

13 comments:

Rowena said...

Looks all so ono-awesome! And you guys got to see fireworks too!! What's next? Is there no food shoe/event going on in Honolulu while you're there? I'm thinking spam jam but maybe it's not during the summer or maybe they don't have it each year.

K and S said...

I think the Spam Jam was earlier this year Rowena, not sure what types of festivals happening, better go investigate...

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Spanikopita is an easy dish to prepare. Its a mixture of feta cheese and spinach baked in phyllo

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Mmmmm...I want a slice of your apple pie! Glad you had a wonderful 4th!

K said...

I like Cupcake wine too! And I will readily admit the packaging totally sold me haha.

Japan Australia said...

My mum does a mean Greek Spanikopita. Fourth of July sounds great with a family dinner followed by fireworks!!

Japan Australia

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Glad to hear you had a wonderful 4th! :-)

jalna said...

Food looks great! We live near the Hawaii Kai fireworks display so Landon's friends had a barbeque at our house. Kona is terrified of the fireworks so at about the time that it was supposed to go off, me, Wendell and Kona went for a drive away from the action.

Anonymous said...

I think my 4th was a good one, white beaches and all that, but I really missed my mom & dad, I miss their independence day shindigs.

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks like a wonderful spread. ;-) Love your fireworks picture--so pretty.

K and S said...

Thanks Anon!

sure thing Lizzy :)

I think that is why my aunty bought it too K!

you are lucky J-A!

Thanks Nami!

Ah must be nice on that side of the island Jalna!

Maybe next year you can party with family Elle Marie :)

thanks Deb in Hawaii, it was the only decent shot of the fireworks :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Marie said...

I love reading about people's family meals at any and every holiday. Your 4th celebration food sounds so darn delicious! Thank you for sharing.

K and S said...

I'm happy to share Marie :)

Take care.
Kat