Tuesday, November 09, 2010

dinner

The sun has been playing hide and seek lately.

The temperature is slowly making its way down and I wanted to use up the cilantro on my lanai before any kind of frost ruined it.

Over the weekend, I made some black bean dip with some of the cilantro.

We ate this with tortilla and I also froze some of it for a quick pupu (appetizer) during the winter, just heat and eat with chips.

With the rest of the cilantro, I whipped up a batch of steamed pork.

Instead of buying minced pork, I bought a slab of pork belly then used my immersion blender/food processor to mince it up.

I minced up half of the pork and froze it.

With the other half, I dumped all the ingredients in for the steamed pork and whizzed it together.

So fast and easy.

For veggies, I made some kinpira.

Added some brown rice and an umeboshi (pickled apricot).

In a couple of days, I think I'll have to start making soups.

What did you have for dinner?

10 comments:

Jude said...

Oh me oh my, I think I have to try the steamed pork recipe and the dip too - I do so love making any chip dip. :) And you put your immersion blender to use, hurrah! It's been busy here, so nothing more complicated than a 5-min couscous, with mushrooms and chopped cherry tomatoes. (How I love 5-minute, non-processed meals :)).

Rowena said...

I wish the sun would play hide and seek here. Rain, rain and hail! Can you believe it? Looks like another negative for sagras this weekend (suppose to have the goose race but with this downpour we'll just have to skip it). The geese would all swim away!

Tonight MotH is having soyburgers and I'm eating hotdogs ^-^

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - Can you believe I made a "mock beef" stir fry for the Missus...she loved it; I couldn't bring myself to eat it.

Melissa said...

I love Japanese food, and this sounds delicious!

K and S said...

5 minute meals are my kind of cooking Jude :) non-processed is a bonus!

Our Autumn is on a slow start Rowena, although you guys sound like you're already in Winter! Hope the weather gets better for you.

That is interesting Kirk, I probably would eat it if you didn't tell me what it was :)

Thanks City Girl!

Take care everyone!
Kat

Kathy YL Chan said...

The steamed pork recipe sounds especially good, will have to give that a try! On the nights I "cook" we typically end up with one of the three: homemade dumplings, pasta (various versions, mostly involving tomatoes and ricotta!), or an assortment of store bought cheeses, baguettes, honey and preserves :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

Everything looks delicious! I have been rating lots of leftovers from cooking classes lately. ;-)

K and S said...

ooh cheese, baguette, honey & preserves sounds like a delicious dinner Kathy!

cooking class leftovers sounds delicious too Debinhawaii :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Su-Lin said...

Oooh, now I'm thinking of making a proper homestyle Japanese meal, complete with kinpira! Do you think it's ok to make it with just carrot? (It's possible to get burdock here but sometimes it's difficult to get it in time for dinner!)

K and S said...

yes yes you can make it with just carrot Su-Lin. In fact, I've seen some people use the peels of the carrot also :)

Take care.
Kat