Monday, November 01, 2010

from the lanai 3

With my new immersion blender/food processor, I shredded some daikon and carrot for bahn mi.

This is the recipe I use to make the banh mi veggies.

I also add some chili flakes and a dash of shoyu or nampla (fish sauce). I also try to soak the veggies overnight.

Then, one day for lunch I bought a piece of fried chicken from the convenience store and put it into a baguette with some of the banh mi veggies, cucumber & cilantro.

It was my first time putting fried chicken in, but it was a great choice...salty, sweet & sour.

The next day for Satoshi's breakfast, I made a banh mi with roast pork...he enjoyed it.

Since the amount of banh mi veggies I made was a lot, I threw together this salad for us one night.

Dressing was a sweet chili paste and a little vinegar.

I also gave some to my friend Kazumi when I went over to her house and I am also planning to make black bean dip with the rest of the cilantro.

The weather has been cold and rainy, so I better use up the cilantro soon.

16 comments:

Jen said...

This all looks sooo good!

Rowena said...

A roast pork bahn mi for breakfast sounds sooooooo good. I have to say that Satoshi is very well fed!

Deb in Hawaii said...

So many adventures from your lanai lately! ;-) Your bahn mi variations are all great. Maybe you will open the next Nom Nom truck. ;-)

OkiHwn said...

That salad looks so ono!

trungster said...

Great post, but you miss spelled "bahn" its spelled as "banh".

K and S said...

Thanks Jen :)

I try my best Rowena :)

I better grow more cilantro then Debinhawaii ;)

Thanks Nate :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Like I mentioned - grow indoors under a light like they grow grass.

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - You're sure making good use of what you've grown!

K and S said...

I don't have that kind of light nor space so I'll wait to grow more cilantro Nate, thanks though.

Thanks Kirk :)

Take care you two.
Kat

K and S said...

Thanks Trungster, I've checked all my posts and have changed them :)

Take care.
Kat

Suze said...

Thanks for the link. It looks like the veggies in the Bale sandwiches. Yum! I've bookmarked the link so that I can try the recipe.

K and S said...

It is Suze, I hope you like it :)

Take care.
Kat

Jude said...

Oh, I haven't had banh mi since forever, nevermind an amazing-sounding homemade one! (Not to mention, a great way to put your cilantro to use! :)). Yup, I agree with Rowena, a wonderfully well-fed household! :)

K and S said...

Hope you'll be able to remedy that when you move to the States, Jude :)

Take care.
Kat

Tamakikat said...

Hi Kat,

those banh mi baguettes etc look really good. Despite missing a couple of ingredients (ie. cilantro) I was still inspired and made savory crepes for breakfast the last two days.

It's a beautiful day outside today. Hope you have a good one.

TK

K and S said...

Glad you have nice weather TK, it is overcast and very windy here.

Take care.
Kat