Saturday, November 13, 2010

foodie couple of days

I went to Kobe the other day to check out a cafe...Greens Coffee Roasters.

The owner was a 2-time champ in the Siphon coffee division for a Barista competition.

I heard they would be closing at the end of the month, so I wanted to check them out.

The address that they have listed did not match where they actually were...either that or Google maps is wrong...anyway..

It took me awhile to figure out where they were.

Luckily as I was about to give up, I found them.

Though it was a little early for lunch, I was hungry from all the walking around.

I ordered an egg, avocado & cheese panini...450 yen (about US$4.50), this came with some chips and a nice salad.

And since I was actually there to try their coffee, I ordered a cappuccino 450 yen (about US$4.50).

The atmosphere of the cafe was cozy though a bit noisy as it is located right under the railroad tracks.

I love their food and coffee. The combination of avocado, egg & cheese was perfect...nice and creamy.

And the cappuccino was nice too...strong. And when it cooled, it tasted kind of sweet.

I'm glad I got to check them out before they closed, though I hope they change their mind and stay open.

Greens Coffee Roasters
3-167 Motomachi-Kokadori
Chuo, Kobe
Phone: 078.332.3115

On another day, I went to Suita to check out Sanshikisaido.

I looked through my archives and it had been 3 years since I went there.

The color of the trees were beautiful...light red, orange, yellows & greens.

Even on a weekday, there were lots of people enjoying the colors.

After walking up and down the street a couple of times, I had lunch near the Hankyu Kitasenri station at the Sasebo Burger Cafe.

I had their special cheeseburger...480 yen (about US$4.80) and their oni-pote set...430 yen (about US$4.30).

You should know that oni-pote is short for onion ring and potato (fries). I wonder if Japan is the only country that serves onion rings with fries?? I think it is cool because sometimes you just want a little of both to go along with your meal.

Anyway, the set also came with a drink and I had a Pepsi.

In the past, I tried their BLT but was disappointed because even if they boast being an American burger shop, they don't have American (crispy) bacon.

Their special cheeseburger has lots of pepper, lots of oozy cheese and a special mayo sauce.

Kind of messy but really hit the spot. I also liked the fact that they had old skool music and wi-fi too.

It was a nice couple of days. A little nippy but at least the sun was out.

Sasebo Burger Cafe
4-119 Furuedai, Dios Kitasenri #5Bldg, 1F
Suita, Osaka
Phone: 06.6834.9200

16 comments:

Jude said...

I love the sound of both of these, especially the first one. Avo, eggs & cheese used to be my go-to for a breakfast with nice cappucino. If I were there, I'd be making a beeline!
P.S. Your comment made me want to make a beeline for Mariposa too, that is some good stuff :)
P.P.S. Google maps seems to get restaurants wrong a lot, already happened twice to me in past month!

K and S said...

Thanks Jude, it was a nice combination, I should try to re-create this (though I've had some bad luck with choosing avocados!)

Google maps especially on the iPhone, really is technical, I didn't have the zip code on an address when I went to Tokyo and it told me it couldn't find it :0

Take care.
Kat

Rona Y said...

I wanted to go to Greens, but never made it there and was very annoyed when I read they were closing! I wanted to try their siphoned/vacuum coffee. I guess I'll have to be satisfied buying their beans!

BTW, have you ever been to the burger place on Tor Road (I think) that's knows for the sauces it serves with fries? The burgers are really tiny like sliders (so a set has two or three) and they're pretty good, but the fries were such a disappointment! You get to choose from maybe 20 different sauces, though.

K and S said...

Sorry Rona, I don't know about the burger place, sounds delicious though I would have a hard time deciding what sauce to use :)

Take care.
Kat

Jonathan said...

Glad that you got to try Greens, I have enjoyed the coffee and eclectically cozy, if not loud, atmosphere. Sorry to here they might close. Thanks for the posts!

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, we actually call them "Frings" here.. Fries and Rings. ;)

Unknown said...

oni pot is tempting me right now! Must resist!!! ;)

K and S said...

I hope you get a chance to go back before the close Jonathan :)

Frings, I like that Dennis :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Parisbreakfasts said...

Reminds me of when I was in Japan in the 80's and asked for a cup of co-hee and they pointed to a board with 36 kinds including Blue Mountain. Japan was way ahead on the coffee trend.
xxcarolg

Parisbreakfasts said...

PS
It's bad enough the amount of fr fries ppl. eat in the US.
A combo of fried onions + fr fries is not what we need at this time...
But broccoli + spinach = Yes!

jalna said...

The cheeseburger sounds wicked . . . something I would love!

I use Google Maps all the time. I am very direction challenged and get lost all the time so the "street view" helps me a lot cause I can actually see what the area looks like ahead of time.

K and S said...

Broccoli and spinach would never fly here Carol ;)

Jalna, I like street view too although a lot of the streets here are so small and narrow that Google Maps hasn't gone in to capture them on street view :0

Take care you two.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Such pretty fall leaves. I love the onion ring-fries combo idea--you are right sometimes you want both.
;-)

K and S said...

I guess you should only eat them virtually Rick ;)

It is true isn't it Debinhawaii ;)

Take care you two.
Kat

K said...

Sounds like you had some nice meals!

Oni-pote is another reason I love Japan, we love to abbreviate everything, haha!

K and S said...

K, I wonder if ever the Japanese forget what their abbreviations stand for?? :)

Take care.
Kat