Tuesday, November 16, 2010

on the lanai

The other week I picked this bell pepper, it was still really small but it looked like it may have been diseased (I could be wrong), so I threw it out.

Then the other day, I picked this one, it was a bit bigger but it also had a spot.

I kept it and chopped it up to put into our breakfast burritos that morning.

Then the weather got really cold one day and Satoshi said, "you should pick the goya, I don't think they will get any bigger".

So I did, they were about 4 or 5 inches long.

The bigger of the 3 surprised us because we had been keeping our eye on the two smaller ones and hadn't noticed the bigger one until it was really huge.

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Kazumi had let me taste her goya tsukudani.

So, thinking this would be a new way to prepare goya I asked her for her recipe.

I'll note it at the end of this post, but this was good, not as sweet as her version but just enough to help overcome some bitterness from the goya.

This was our dinner on Sunday: goya tsukudani, miso soup with daikon, carrot and sweet potato, genmai (brown rice), egg & lettuce, and yuzu pickles.

The yuzu pickles are delicious, I love the crunch and the bright flavor from the citron.

Finally, Rowena had asked me in one of her comments, as to how I use the chirimen jakko (dried small anchovies).

The most simple way we eat them is to mix some with grated daikon and top with some shoyu or ponzu (citrus soy sauce).

I also place the mixture on tamagoyaki (rolled omlette).

You can also find chirimen jakko in tsukudani, like the one we had from Shinonome.

Chirimen jakko was also part of the recipe that Kazumi gave to me for the goya tsukudani.

Here is the recipe if you'd like to try this.

Goya Tsukudani adapted from Kazumi : yields about 1/4 cup
150 grams goya, cleaned and sliced into half cm slices.
37.5 mililiters shoyu (2.5 tablespoons)
25 mililiters vinegar (1.6 tablespoons)
50 grams sugar
1.5 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds
1 gram hana-katsuo (bonito shavings)
5 grams chirimen jakko (dried small anchovies)

After cleaning the "cotton" and slicing the bittermelon, put into boiling water to blanch.
Put liquid condiments into a pot and heat on medium.
Add goya, stirring once in awhile.
Just before all the liquid evaporates, add the sesame seeds, katsuo & jakko.

NOTES: She didn't have measurements for the sesame seeds, katsuo or jakko, so the measurements are what I used.

I weighed the goya after I cleaned it.

Since the jakko is dried, I added it while I still had quite a bit of liquid.

All in all, it took about 30 minutes for all the liquid to evaporate.

The bittermelon still keeps its bitter bite but is made a little softer with the addition of sugar.

I think this would be nice in musubi.

Whew, this post was long, but I wanted to wrap everything into one post so that I could share with you the happenings from our lanai.

8 comments:

KirkK said...

Those bittermelon are really cute looking!

Rowena said...

I ♥ this idea for the goya, so there had better be some in Milan when I eventually get there. And as for the anchovies...nice! I know that I've seen those here too so hopefully when we go into town....(your eggs are so deep yellow!)

HitomiNeko said...

hey nice blog <3 i miss eating the dried small anchovies! haven't had it for a while. ^^ following !

xoxo hitomineko xoxo
http://hitomineko-hn.blogspot.com/

K and S said...

they were kinda tiny Kirk :)

I hope you can get some goya too Rowena. Our yolks are huge and really orange!

Thanks Hitomineko :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Jude said...

Somehow I missed this yesterday! Thank you so much for sharing this and that recipe, I've been secretly hoping to love bittermelon (everyone in my family seems to have no problem with it, just me). I think this recipe will do the trick!

K and S said...

sometimes it is the preparation that makes or breaks something Jude, hope this changes things for you :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I really need to eat/try more bittermelon--I think I am just scared to really try it. ;-)

K and S said...

maybe one day it will be in your CSA box Debinhawaii, then you'll be forced to try it ;)

Take care.
Kat