Tuesday, November 30, 2010

local bounty salad

Last time I was home, my mom made this potato salad. It had sweet potato, corn and other veggies. It was curry flavored, creamy and served cold.

She got the recipe from the newspaper and it was by Sam Choy.

His version showcases local veggies grown by a popular farm in Hawaii.

Of course, sweet potato and pumpkin are in season now in Japan, but the weather is a little too cold for cold potato salad, so I turned this into a warm version.

I'm calling my version "Local Bounty Salad" because I am only using veggies that grew in Japan.

I will list Sam Choy's recipe first then I will put what I did afterwards.

Sam Choy's Kitchen recipe: Bounty of Ewa Salad :6 portions
Ingredients:
1 cup Ewa Sweet Corn kernels
1 cup chopped Ewa Jade Beans
1 cup Ewa Sweet Onion, diced small
2 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tbsp. Curry Powder
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Pepper
1 cup Okinawan Sweet Potato, cooked, medium diced
1 cup Ewa Sweet Pumpkin, cooked, medium diced
1 cup Mayonnaise
Heat in a medium size sauté pan on medium and melt butter.
When the butter is melted, add in the corn, onions, and beans and sauté for a
minute and then add in the curry powder, salt, and pepper and sauté for a minute
and remove from the heat.
Refrigerate the mixture until cold.
Once the mixture is cold, place it in a bowl and combine with the cooked potato and cooked pumpkin.
Add in the mayonnaise and mix well making sure to not break up the cooked potato or pumpkin.
Serve cold as a new way to enjoy a potato salad.


My version makes about 2 cups : about 4 servings : 1/2 cup each

1/4 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 onion diced
1/2 sweet potato, skin on, diced
1/8 pumpkin, skin on, diced
1 can of corn (190 grams), rinsed
1.5 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon mayo (Best Foods)
1/2 teaspoon curry powder (Spice Hunters Salt-Free)
grind of pepper

In a heated pan, add oil and sautee sweet potato & pumpkin until cooked through.
Add onion & red bell pepper
When the onion gets transparent, add the corn.
Add curry powder and mayo.
Coat everything well.
When mayo disappears, add grinds of pepper and turn off heat.
Serve right away.

NOTES: This was good. I should have used S&B curry powder & Kewpie Mayo instead of Spice Hunters & Best Foods to make it 100% local, but Best Foods and this brand of curry tastes best (to me).

You can use whatever local veggies are in season where you are.

Not creamy like the version I tried in Hawaii, but still delicious and flavorful. I also added an over-easy egg for some protein. It was a nice way to eat a lot of veggies and eat local too.

9 comments:

Jude said...

I am printing this so I can try it next time I go home! Love the use of more local veggies :)

jalna said...

Hey, a veggie loco moco! You're always so innovative!

Franky said...

delicious!!!! looks so good..

Rowena said...

With that yolk-bustin egg I can only imagine how delicious this was!

K and S said...

hope you like it Jude :)

you are innovative Jalna, wouldn't have thought of "veggie loco moco" :)

Thanks Franky!

Too bad I didn't have rice Rowena, would've been even better!

Take care everyone.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

So bright and sunny! I love the fact that it is local veggies and love the egg on top. Great salad! ;-)

K and S said...

definitely nice on a gloomy day Debinhawaii :)

Take care.
Kat

manju said...

You had me at Ewa Sweetcorn...
Oh, and I'm already so nostalgic for Oahu, and Ewa Beach was our 'hood!

K and S said...

Manju, this salad was so good, I hope you try it with local veggies in your new 'hood :)

Take care.
Kat