Thursday, November 04, 2010

urume

Well, it has been about 2 weeks, since MIL was admitted into the hospital.

Yesterday, we went to visit and apparently her wounds are healing nicely and some feeling has returned to her legs, but it seems she will be in the hospital for awhile longer.

While MIL was having her bandages changed, we went to find ourselves some lunch.

Most times when we visit MIL (before the accident), we eat at home, having a shop deliver food, so we don't really know of places to eat near MIL's.

Near the hospital which MIL is at, we found a great little soba shop called Urume.

Looking at the outside of the shop, Satoshi didn't even think they were a restaurant.

It was a good thing we decided to go in, because the inside of the shop was very homey.

Satoshi ordered the curry namban, lots of curry topped freshly made soba.

The curry had a punch to it and was delicious...1000 yen (about US$10)

I ordered the tenzaru. Cold soba with tempura....1470 yen (about US$14.70).

The noodles were delicious, cooked perfectly and the tempura, light and crispy.

There were lots of vegetables, shiso (perilla), shishito (Japanese pepper), lotus root, eggplant, pumpkin, sweet potato, shiitake & shrimp.

I gave the shrimp to Satoshi because it is favorite, and he enjoyed it.

Everything is made to order, so if there are a lot of people expect to wait for your food, though you won't be disappointed.

We had a nice lunch and nice visit with MIL. We hope she gets discharged soon.

Urume
51 Koyama Nishi-Oono-cho
Kita, Kyoto
Phone: 075.495.9831
Open: 11:00-17:00 or until they run out
Closed: Tuesdays

8 comments:

Jude said...

I'm glad she's doing much better. That shop looks very cozy and warming - a perfect antidote to a hospital visit. I'm eyeing that curry namban, especially :) (Btw, I *finally* figured out this google follow thing - thanks to my computer doctor who fixed all my computer hiccups! Wish I'd done this ages ago :))

Rowena said...

Those are the kind of surprises that I wish I could stumble upon here, that don't-even-look-like-a-restaurant place. Good to hear that MIL is getting better!

KirkK said...

I'm glad your MIL is on the mend.... I was wondering how she was doing.

K and S said...

Thanks Jude, I'm glad you got your computer all sorted out :)

Thanks Rowena, I wish we could go looking for meals together :)

Thanks Kirk, we hope she gets to come home soon.

Take care everyone.
Kat

jalna said...

Wow two weeks in the hospital is long. Glad she's getting better. Your food looks yummy!

K and S said...

yeah Jalna, it is long hopefully she can get out soon!

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I am glad she seems to be doing better--hopefully it won't be too much longer.

The lunch place looks cute and the food looks really good.

K and S said...

Thanks Debinhawaii, we hope she'll be out soon too, though I have a feeling it may be next year.

Take care.
Kat