Monday, November 22, 2010

wonton

Since I didn't want to throw out the oil right after frying the andagi on Saturday, I decided to make some wonton for our dinner yesterday.

I don't think I've ever made wonton before...gyoza yes, wonton no.

Anyway, these wonton don't take a lot of filling, so of course, I have leftover filling.

Usually in Japan, you don't see fried wonton, but rather as a soft-type in soups.

With 30 wrappers, I made 13 filled with minced pork and kim chee, 13 filled with an "Italian" filling & 4 filled with hazelnut chocolate paste.

The kim chee version was similar to how I make the filling for kim chee gyoza, except that I left out the shoyu (nampla).

I used 80 grams of pork & 50 grams of kim chee. I put a splash of sake.

This was nice and I loved the crunch from the wonton wrapper.

For the "Italian" version, I mixed 80 grams of pork with several spoonfuls of pasta sauce, several dashes of Italian seasoning, 1/3 of zucchini chopped, 1/4 of chopped red bell pepper and several pinches of chopped up shredded cheese.

I liked the flavor of this. It wasn't oozy cheesy but the seasoning was nice and basil-y.

Dessert was the wonton filled with the hazelnut chocolate paste (1/2 teaspoon each) I got from Barbero.

It wasn't oozy by the time we ate it, but it was delicious, what's not to like about fried dark chocolate with hazelnuts??

We had these wonton with Trappistes Rochefort 10, a dark Belgian beer, 11.3% alcohol.

This beer had sort of a chocolatey taste, but the thing that I didn't like about it was that there was residuals at the bottom of the cup.

Other than that, I really liked the taste of this, it was easy to drink without being watery.

I liked these wonton, plus, clean-up of the oil was a snap!

Have a nice week.

18 comments:

Rona Y said...

I like to wrap a piece of cheese in the wrappers (spring roll wrappers are even better than the wonton ones!) and fry them, and then dip them in Thai sweet chili sauce. Mmmmm. . . my favourite snack, but not so good for the cholesterol/triglyceride counts!

Franky said...

this is making me hungry!

The Breakfast Lover said...

I like wonton! but i never made it at home, and i didnt know you can eat the with sweet things!

K and S said...

I do have the summer roll wrappers, but I think these can be fried, Rona. Will try them soon :)

Thanks Franky :)

I think you could make sweet or savory TBL :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Kathy YL Chan said...

ahhh fun! that's a good idea! i bet those chocolate-hazelnut ones would have been so good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream heheh ^_^

Rona Y said...

If they're the dry ones (like for goi cuon), don't do it! Well, not with cheese, anyway. One of my favourite dim sum places does a fried Vietnamese spring roll stuffed with ground pork. It's delicious! Don't think cheese would work too well, though. I usually use the harumaki sheets for my fried cheese--fried starch, melted cheese. . . what could be better?

OkiHwn said...

They have the oil absorbing stuff get over there? It's a box of absorbent material that you put oil in - from motor oil to cooking oil - then put out in regular trash?

K and S said...

ah I see thanks Rona :)

not sure what you are talking about Nate.

Take care you two.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

They all look good but I am surprised you only made 4 of the chocolate-hazelnut ones! ;-)

K and S said...

Yeah I thought about doing 10-10-10 Debinhawaii, but thought the ratio of dessert would be a little too high for Satoshi ;)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Oooh...fried stuff but this time with beer, and you got the TR #10! Odd about the residuals...never had that problem before, but boy does it pack a punch after the second bottle.

K and S said...

I had the bottle awhile maybe that could've been the reason, Rowena.

Take care.
Kat

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Chocolate wontons! That sounds great!

K and S said...

they were Melanie :)

Take care.
Kat

Jude said...

Ooh, chocolate wonton! I love the sound of that with the beer (though too bad about the beer residuals). I've never tried making anything with fried wonton wrappers at home - this is going on my food fantasy to-do list :)

K and S said...

hope you like them Jude :) I heard from a Flickr friend that the residuals are what makes the beer a trappistes beer :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Yum, love all of the flavor combinations you had for the wontons!

K and S said...

Thanks K :)

Take care.
Kat