Thursday, November 18, 2010

fall foliage

Yesterday we went to Kyoto, to visit MIL and also to check out some Fall foliage.

MIL is doing fine, she sent us on a scavenger hunt of sorts through her closets and drawers for items she needed while she is in the hospital.

The hospital she is in at the moment was looking to move her to a bigger hospital with cosmetic surgery facilities but there are no beds open at the moment, so right now, they are waiting and treating her as best as they can.

At the rate things are going, she probably won't be out until early next year. Though we all hope it is sooner.

As for Fall foliage, we went to Tofukuji. I've often seen pictures from my Flickr friends but have never actually been to the temple.

According to Satoshi, he's never been either. Well, he said maybe he went as a child, but he surely doesn't remember it.

From the outside (for free), you can look down on the trees from a wooden bridge and what a sight it is to see.
But I would suggest for 400 yen (about US$4) per person, go inside to see it all up close.

Tons of people all trying to get "that perfect shot", but so worth fighting off the crowds. It is definitely something to see.

Satoshi and I had our mouths open and maybe our jaws dragging as we walked through the area...so beautiful.

Of course, the sun was playing hide-and-seek so the pictures I took don't do this place justice.
After checking out the leaves, we were hungry so we popped into a tiny takoyaki shop, Negitako.

I don't care much for takoyaki because the insides always seem uncooked to me. Satoshi on the other hand, loves this stuff.

He ordered the takoyaki with sauce (I think this is okonomiyaki sauce that they use)...this is the standard way...adding mayo to the dish is rather a new way of eating takoyaki.

Most times when you order takoyaki, it is served with a toothpick, so this was how Satoshi ate (or tried to eat) his.

Can you imagine stabbing this big soft (and piping hot) orb with a teeny stick, then trying to balance it as you try to stuff it all into your mouth before it falls off?

Then trying to eat it all the while it is still piping hot...you huff and puff, moving the orb around in your mouth trying not to let it touch the sides of your mouth so you don't get burned...that is what Satoshi looked like.

Me, I ordered takoyaki with sauce and kim chee...this was so good...spicy kim chee, lots of green onion and piping hot takoyaki...perfect for a nippy day.

I chose to eat my takoyaki with chopsticks...way easier and less burning of my mouth.

We also shared a takotamago (literally octopus egg). A tiny octopus holds a boiled quail egg in its head...this was served ice cold but so delicious.

The tako is cooked in a sweet soy sauce...yum!

All in all a great day.

Tofukuji
15-chome Honmachi
Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto
Phone: 075.561.0087
http://www.tofukuji.jp (click on the British flag for English)
From the JR Nara line, get off at Tofukuji station and walk for 10 minutes
Or take the Kyoto City bus and get off at Tofukuji

Negitako (UPDATE: 2016 no longer in business)
12-228 Honmachi
Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto
Phone: 075.541.4777
Open: 12 noon until 1 a.m.

10 comments:

KirkK said...

I love the fall photos Kat. We don't get significant changes in season here.

Jude said...

The fall leaves are soo beautiful in Japan! I can never get tired of seeing them, Mother Nature in all her colourful glory!

I would love a bite of takoyaki anytime, but your takotamago actually sounds even more delish! I like the sound of the ice cold serving. :)

jalna said...

Beauuutiful photos! I love your description of Satoshi eating the takoyaki . . . hilarious!

K and S said...

I love this season Kirk, plus it is much cooler ;)

I think I could have eaten a couple more of those takotamago Jude!

Thanks Jalna :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

Are geminis alike or what? (haha, I know there's supposed to be a pun in there). How funny that when I was reading the post and looking at the pics, as soon as I got to the 3rd collage my mind shouted out "TAKOYAKI!" But wait...you also had takotamago? Uh oh...I can feel the wheels turning in my head already.

K and S said...

Rowena,
they put hard boiled quail eggs inside of the head of the teeny octopus then boil the octopus in shoyu, sugar, mirin...the egg also gets some flavor from the sauce and the tako gets a bit chewy but I can see eating this with beer. Must be a p.i.t.a. to make though.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Oh the pictures of the fall foliage are so beautiful--makes me miss the northwest. ;-)

K and S said...

sorry to make you homesick Debinhawaii!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Natsukashii! My host family in Kyoto lives right around the corner from a little takoyaki shop/bar. I miss Japan so much but I really enjoy the little treasures you write about. I could go for a few of those takotamago right about now - oishiisou desu!

K and S said...

Thanks Anon :) Hope you get a chance to come back for a visit.

Take care.
Kat