Sunday, November 14, 2010

sanshoku gohan

The weather has been kind of bad. There is the kosa (dust cloud from China) that makes the skies all hazy.

On top of that we had a couple cloudy days. I am hoping this won't affect the momiji (maple) leaves from changing colors...we'll just have to wait and see.

The other night, I was craving a bento for dinner.

I've posted this recipe for sanshoku gohan before here.

But since I couldn't find it on my blog when I was ready to cook, I adapted this recipe from the internet instead.

Sanshoku gohan : serves 2: adapted from the internet

250 grams minced pork
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sake (rice wine)
2 tablespoons shoyu (soy sauce)
2 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
ginger, grated

For eggs: 2 eggs
1/2 tablespoon water
1/4 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon mirin
dash or two of shoyu
some oil

2 Bell pepper, thinly sliced

For meat: Brown meat then drain on paper towel.
Put back into pan and add the sauce.
Cook until liquid evaporates.
Set aside.

For eggs: add some oil to a heated pan
Beat eggs with the condiments.
Cook in pan stirring constantly, until fluffy.
Set aside.

For veg: toss in heated non-stick pan, until cooked to desired tenderness.

Put rice into bowl or bento box. Add meat, egg & veg.

Enjoy.

NOTES: if you are putting this into a bento box, make sure everything is cooled (even your rice), you wouldn't want to get food poisoning or anything.

This time around I added a little grated ginger to the sauce for the minced pork. I also browned the pork then drained it on a paper towel before cooking it in the sauce.

I can also see wrapping this (the meat, egg & veg) in a tortilla as a breakfast or lunch burrito.

This bento really hit the spot.

13 comments:

Franky said...

now you made me crave bento!

jalna said...

Yummm, my kind of meal. I loved your link to your Kyoto post . . . beautiful photos!

OkiHwn said...

Good looking bento!!!

K and S said...

Hi Franky, hope you are able to get yourself a bento :)

Thanks Jalna :)

Thanks Nate :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Dennis K. said...

So colorful! I love soboro..

KirkK said...

That looks great Kat! Man, that pollution in China is pretty harsh stuff.

Kathy YL Chan said...

The wrapping in a tortilla sounds like a great idea! Oh man, especially if you brown it for a bit in the frying pan maybe, hehe :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

Looks delicious! ;-)

K and S said...

It is quite colorful isn't it Dennis??

It is making my throat all funky Kirk :p

Hehe that does sound even better Kathy :)

Thanks Debinhawaii :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Rowena said...

I imagine that the dust cloud means bad news for those who suffer from asthma. In your opinion, is it worse than vog in Hawaii?

K and S said...

eep! dunno both are kinda gross Rowena. I guess this dust cloud because it leaves this residue all over the place :p I don't think vog does that, does it?

Take care.
Kat

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

That does look yummy and a great little bento food! I'll be trying this one! Thanks!

K and S said...

I hope you like this Melanie :)

Take care.
Kat