Sunday, November 25, 2012

re-creating

Recently I had this sandwich for lunch, it was a prosciutto, gorgonzola sandwich. I don't think they really used prosciutto though, the texture seemed more like a cold cut type of ham.

This sandwich had cream cheese, apple, "prosciutto", gorgonzola, pecan, spinach, red cabbage and a what I thought was honey.

After re-creating this as an appetizer though, I think they used maple syrup instead of the honey.

Still this was delicious and I'll definitely make this again.

Another thing I recently re-created was a pumpkin sweet potato salad.

Most times you can find this salad (usually just a pumpkin version) at the sozai-ya (pre-made food shops) or at the department store food floors. It is quite sweet and more like a "dessert" than a salad.

Sweet Potato-Pumpkin Salad : makes about 4 small servings
1/2 a sweet potato, steamed
1/4 kabocha, steamed
80 grams plain yogurt, drained on cheesecloth for about 20 minutes
1 teaspoon maple syrup
several grinds of cinnamon
handful of pecan, chopped

After steaming the sweet potato & kabocha to the tenderness of your liking, peel the skins and cut into cubes. Let cool.
Take the drained yogurt and add the maple syrup, stir and set aside.
When sweet potato & kabocha is cooled, add some cinnamon and coat with yogurt mixture.
Chill until you are ready to eat.
Sprinkle pecans just before eating.

NOTES: this wasn't as sweet as the ones I've tried before, but it was still delicious.

4 comments:

K said...

Ooh, both sound delicious, nice job!

K and S said...

Thanks K!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I couldn't really tell in the pic, but prosciutto cotto (cooked ham) is just like the cold cut stuff.

K and S said...

Thanks for telling me, Rowena, now I know...I was gonna complain when I was eating it, but held my tongue :p

Take care.
Kat