Saturday, November 03, 2012

speculoos apple crumble

I love the internet...I got this idea from Dorie Greenspan, who got the idea from a bistro that she visited in Paris.

It made a lot of sense to me to use speculoos cookies because they have that "christmas-y" apple pie type of flavors.

Since I had a not-so crispy apple, I decided to try it, instead of throwing the apple out.

I sort of made up my own recipe...

Speculoos Apple Crumble : makes 2

oil
1/2 apple, sliced
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
several grinds of cinnamon
2 packages of caramel biscuits a.k.a. speculoos a.k.a. biscoff, crushed
2 pats of butter

Use some oil to grease your ramekins.
After slicing your apples place into the ramekins.
Sprinkle a teaspoon of vanilla sugar on each
Grind cinnamon on each
Crush a package of caramel biscuits (1 package has 2 cookies) onto your apples. (I crushed them with my fingers, because I wanted it chunky) Use 2 cookies for 1 ramekin.
Cut the pat of butter into smaller pieces and place here and there in ramekin (use 1 pat for 1 ramekin)

Bake at 180F (350F) for 30 minutes.

NOTES: I'll admit my crumble was a bit dry, but the aroma from the oven was really nice and overall it was delicious especially with a cup of tea.

I definitely want to try this again, maybe adding some oatmeal and nuts to the topping.

8 comments:

http://abebedorespgondufo.blogs.sapo.pt/ said...

Very Good.

K said...

Great use of ingredients! Trader Joe's has a Speculoos spread that is super delicious here in the states.

jalna said...

Hey, neat idea. Just my kind of recipe . . . easy. I never heard of vanilla sugar before.

K and S said...

Thanks Abebe :)

I've seen that on some blogs, K, am totally jealous because in Hawaii we don't have TJs.

Vanilla sugar is made by putting a vanilla pod into some sugar Jalna :) the sugar is "flavored" with the vanilla.

Take care you two.
Kat

genkitummy said...

That looks like a really simple yummy recipe!

K and S said...

indeed LJ :)

simple is my kind of cooking Genki :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

I know I should've bought a couple packages of speculoos when I saw them in France! Dang it.

K and S said...

aw I hope you can find some Rowena!

Take care.
Kat