Wednesday, November 14, 2012

using up some canned goods

Been trying to use up some canned goods before the expiration date comes around.

This can of "baked beans" from Italy, tasted more like what we have in the US called "pork and beans" except without the "pork".

It sure made for a great dinner and I'm glad Satoshi ate this, I'm pretty sure he didn't grow up eating "pork and beans"...

I had this can of smoked salmon, but it didn't have an expiration date on it, so I figured I should use it as soon as possible.

I finally realized that it is super easy to make salmon patties in a food processor, just throw everything in and whizz!

I whizzed some onion, flat leaf parsley and the salmon, then I put everything into a bowl and added an egg.

What have you been cooking up lately?

13 comments:

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

I love your idea of using the food processor for salmon patties--my kids don't usually like chunky onion and celery in the ones I make so this could be what we need!

genkitummy said...

Those salmon burgers look good! I've actually been doing the same thing and trying to use up my canned goods. I had pork and beans the other day and will be having "hamburger, corn, and rice" using cream of mushroom soup.

K and S said...

Hope this works for you, Abigail :)

glad you've been using up your canned goods too Genki :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

You reminded me that I do have canned food! I'll have to finish it before this year ends! The salmon patties look delicious~~~!

K and S said...

hope you can use them up Nami :)

take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Funny, we just cleared out a bunch of canned goods as well!

Rowena said...

I've never seen that fiamma brand of beans, and it looks like a big can too. Me and expiry dates...let's just say that I am blind and sometimes end up eating stuff as long as there is no mold in it.

K and S said...

cool Kirk :)

Rowena, I am usually really lax with the expiry thingy too.

Take care you two.
Kat

K said...

Yum, the salmon patties look great!

K and S said...

Thanks K, they were good :)

Take care.
Kat

Canned Food Shopper said...

Always thought baked beans were invented in America! So, odd to hear that "baked beans" seems unfamiliar. They're a staple in the UK. Anyway, hope it was all tasty. Thanks for sharing.

Rowena said...

Tuscans are called mangiafagioli (bean-eaters) and may have been the first to invent "baked beans"? There's a glass flask or terracotta jar that is used to ccok beans in hot ashes. I have never tried cooking beans that way, but I do make orange brownies in the woodstove!

http://www.emikodavies.com/blog/beans-cooked-in-a-tuscan-jar/

K and S said...

That is so interesting, Rowena!

Take care.
Kat