Thursday, November 29, 2012

spice kaki jam

I saw this recipe on a blog, it rained all day on Monday, so I kept busy by trying this.

My jam didn't come out as bright orange as the one on the blog, but I think it came out pretty good.

Spice Kaki Jam adapted from the internet
400 grams kaki (cut into 8ths, peeled then weighed)
80 grams sugar
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice
1 tablespoon pine nuts, goji berry, raisin & almond mix + more for topping

Cut the kaki into 8ths then peel and weigh it. Take out any seeds if any.
Add the kaki, sugar, lemon juice and 5 spice into a pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
If there are any seeds that you couldn't remove when cutting the kaki, remove them now.
Add the pine nut mixture at the end.

NOTES: This tastes like prune mui. I think next time I make this, I would cut the kaki into smaller pieces rather than have them in slices.

This was good on yogurt, and I also added a little more of the pine nut mixture when I served it.

5 comments:

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

YUM! I have almost all of those ingredients on hand. Sounds so good! I love spicy fruit!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I've never had kaki jam before but I can imagine it's unique flavor. My mom used to tell me to eat kaki because it has good nutrition but I remember I wasn't a big fan of kaki growing up. :)

K and S said...

I hope you like this Abigail!

Thanks Jalna :)

I didn't like kaki much either, Nami, but have been starting to like it more and more, you should try it again :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

This also looks like it would go great on cheese.

K and S said...

it is kinda on the sweet side, Rowena, so it would probably match with a "stinky" cheese :)

Take care.
Kat