Wednesday, December 19, 2018

seikei geka

I had always thought that "seikei" meant cosmetic surgery.

And it does.

But, when "seikei" is combined with "geka" meaning surgery, it means orthopedic surgery.

Back in October, my knee was sore, but I thought by waiting things out, it would heal on its own.

I thought we were walking too much...taking too many stairs (at shrines)...

Then in November, I could barely stand on it.

Satoshi told me to see the chiropractor down the street, but he only told me to put "cooling" bandages on it, which I was already doing, and it wasn't getting better.

So, I went to Ikegami Seikei.

The doctor took x-rays and then prescribed some "heating" bandages and some pain killers.

(The bandages ended up giving me a rash, so I was changed to medicine that could be taken internally.)

I was also instructed to go to rehab.

The amazing thing is that within the office, there is a huge area for rehab.

At least 15 people can be getting different treatments done at one time.

My rehab consists of having my knee sit under a heat lamp for about 10 minutes.

When I asked them how many times I need to come to rehab their reply was, "you can come everyday, but no less than 3 times a week"...

So, I go 5 days a week (they are closed on Thursdays and Sundays (and holidays))

The downside of medicine in Japan, you aren't billed afterwards, you need to pay cash every time before leaving...luckily with insurance my rehab only costs me 320 yen per visit.

About two weeks ago, I got a hyaluronic shot in my knee.

I'm sure if I didn't have to walk very often, it would have a chance to heal, but daily stuff needs to get done.

Anyway, the pain is slowly going away and I hope they will tell me to stop rehab by year's end.

Oh, and anyone that takes meds or visits a pharmacy carries around one of these books (see the photo above)...

When you pick up your prescription, they place a seal in the book to let any other pharmacy know what meds you are on.

This allows you to go to any pharmacy and fill your prescription.

You should also know that written prescriptions expire after 4 days, so you cannot "save them" up to fill all at once.

Not all pharmacies take credit card too, so make sure you have cash on hand...

What a year for medical stuffs (remember my root canal drama?!)...but thank goodness for insurance.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Japan have a nat'l healthcare plan or is it per company like how Hawaii is with HMSA or Kaiser? I notice Japanese ppl are really healthy and like to bike/walk a lot. Please get well soon and Merry Christmas! -N

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear that your knee is still bothering you and that it even got that bad :(
I hope it didn't get worse because you took us all around.
If that shot is anything like cortisone shots, it must be so painful!
Take care!
v

Kalin's Mommy said...

Oh boy, your busy! I can't imagine going physical therapy five times a week! I just started physical therapy for my left shoulder...only twice a week for four weeks though! Dr says I have an early frozen shoulder, so physical therapy should take care of it hopefully! Get well soon! Mich

K and S said...

Hi N, Thank you! Japan has have national insurance for those not working, and companies have insurance too.

V, I'm glad I was able to take you guys around. The shot was sore when he gave it to me but after that the pain kinda went away.

Mich, I've already been going for a month, so I just hope I can stop soon :) You take care!

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

oh no, knee ailments are not fun (coming from someone who used to hike a lot) so I hope your pains heal soon ^-^

jalna said...

Oh no, Kat! Hope your rehab goes well. That drug record book seems so old school. When I was a kid my mom couldn't find my "shot record", a list that Tripler would record my immunizations on. When she found it I was so relieved that I cried.

KirkK said...

Hope your knee gets better.....so you won't need any surgery Kat!

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena hoping it heals soon too :)

Old school is Japan Jalna :) they even still have bank passbooks...

gads Kirk...let's hope not...

Take care everyone.
Kat